Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
200ci, in line 6. Freeze out plugs on the head, just behind the exhaust manifold. 4 of them... This is a 1966 Ford built motor.

Anyone know what size they are?
Have a Dormen part number for these?.

I looked in the Shop manual AND The Motors book for up to 1965. No one seems to know the correct size, or the correct Dormen ordering number.. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Listings are often incorrect for whatever reason. I just measure the hole. That's never wrong
;)
David
If I had or can borrow a micrometer... Was hoping someone can just jot down the Dorman number. There are 4 seperate part numbers for 1 inch, but if you look at the Mfg specs, they are a few MM's apart.

The first ones I ordered I could push in with my fingers. I have the next set commin'.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Head freeze out plugs... What size are they??? I know...

Hi-Ya everyone,
Advanced Auto Parts. Dorman #555-083. This part number is for a box of 10. I suggest you get the box of 10 if your going to replace them (170-200 in line 6) because you will need them especially the 3rd on from the front. The box cost the same as #555-083.1 because they are sold by the box.

These plugs are small. They are 1 inch, and they have a small wall. Even though they are the standard wall. If your replacing them on the motor in the car, you will need to remove:

-1 The starter.
-2 The carb Linkage.
-3 Drop the exhaust pipe.
-4 remove the manifold.

Now your ready to install the new one's. The two fronts are kinda easy. make sure you get a socket that just about fits inside the plug. You will need two socket extensions. One small and one large. Don't use two smalls as this will flex while tapping them in.

Make sure your straight. because if they go in the slightest crooked, and you straighten them out while tapping them in, they are sure to leak. Straight from the start. It's difficult, and you will go through almost all of the plugs in the box.

So far, no leaks, not even weeping so far. Tomorrow will be the real test, but I am confident they won't leak.

Thought I would post in case anyone wants to know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts