Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the heads on my 70 302 today and found that the Felpro head gasket covered the two larger coolant passages in the front of the block and head. Is this suspose to be? or do I have the wrong gasket? The two on the back of the block were opened. I can't find a number on the gasket. The front was at the front.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I dont have experience with this, but i am pretty sure i have seen on here that those are supposed to be partially or maybe even fully blocked to get coolent pressure to the back of the engine and head. Otherwise it just makes a loop through those holes in the front and the back has water that just sits there.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The gasket is marked top and front. The passages to the front of the block are capped to let the water flow into the intake and out the thermostat housing.
Paul

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. That was pretty much my rationael but wanted to reaffirm.

·
Registered
908 Posts
If the coolant passages in the front of the engine were open at the head gasket, the coolant would simply travel in the block, up the #1 and #5 cylinder cooling jackets, up into the front of the head, and out the t-stat housing.

The rest of the block and heads would be "bypassed" for all intents and purposes.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts