Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just read the tech article on the head porting and thought it was great. But I am wondering will alot of that info apply to the 429 heads? I am ready to start on a set of 429 (C8VE-E) heads and am wondering about the guide bosses. Can these be ground down like in the article or will it be different with the big block? Or will the cam size affect how much should be taken off? My cam is the COMP Magnum 292 hyd. And I am also having bronze gudes installed.Any helpful hints on porting the 429 heads would also be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks,JD

·
Registered
231 Posts
The intake ports on your heads flow quite well. On the other hand the exhausts are somewhat of a disaster. Concentrate the vast majority of your porting time on the exhaust side of your heads. Since you are running a single pattern cam this is even more important. Very basically, don't lower the port floor at all. Just radius the short side so that there is a smooth round turn between the valve seat and the port floor. Do most of the enlarging on the port roof. Smooth it out and raise it slightly, narrow the valve guide boss, remove the thermactor boss and widen the port slightly. If the port is straight, smooth and free of ridges and bumps it doesn't need to be huge to flow well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Several years ago the people @
MPG Head Service
3881 S. Jason St.,
Englewood Co. 80110
303-762-8196
used to send a person a section of head/port to use as a model to do your own porting. They also have some good swap parts, headers,
and could do port work. They may be worth checking out. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts