Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of 460 heads that I'm gonna start porting out, and while I was looking them over last night, I noticed that exhaust crossover port that heats the intake actually goes right into the bowl of one of the exhaust ports. To me, this seems like a bad thing, like it would cause the flow to try to go the wrong direction or cause turbulence. Have any of you guys seen flow numbers on that exhaust port compared to the other ports with the full bowl to see what kind of an impact it has?

While doing the porting, is there anything special I should pay attention to on that particular port? It seems like a person would be best off to weld a plate over it and then smooth out the port to match the others. Would that just be a waste of time?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 2/28/02 1:24am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 2/28/02 1:25am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Just make believe it isn't there. Since this is going to be a street bruiser(I'm guessing) the time and money involved to "fix" that one port on each head won't be worth the flow gain. Bolt the intake and exhaust on there and the motor won't know the difference between it and the other ports.
I ported my D3's and just ground on the crossover ports the same as the rest. Here's a link to some pretty cool pics I wish I would have known about then. Good luck to you. Now, go chew some cast iron dust for a while!
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I have filled them with aluminum before and im going to do it again soon also. I dont like that port at all like that. so i use a cast iron ladle melt aluminum in it and pour it into the cross over all the way to the intake then you can form that bowl just like the rest of then and it wont move at all either. The heads i do it on are not daily drives. I dont recommend it on daily drives especialy in colder climates.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is my daily driver, so I'll probably just leave it alone. I could probably weld a plate over it, but something about welding on cast stuff scares me, lol! I was just wondering if there was some easy fix that I didn't know about for it. The aluminum thing sounds interesting, but wouldn't the aluminum try to expand more than the iron, and possibly crack the head?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts