Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, in my 351C 2V aussie head build I want to run roller rockers. First, I am not very familiar with doing heads...

someone said to set them up for screw in studs. Is this any different than pedestal mount?

Also if I use crane roller rockers I understand that I will need a pushrod guide plate kit. Why is this, does this just lie in the specific company product or is this for any roller rocker setup, and why is this?

If using roller rockers do I need to get specific pushrods for them or will stock rods work?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
The rocker arm studs are replaced with screw in types for 2 reasons. First, screw in types are better because they will not back out of the head like the pressed fit ones can when using a high lift cam. Second, the base of the stud holds the guide plate in place(the machine shop I work with told me to torque them to 35 ft.lbs. on my 302W). The guide plates are needed to keep the roller tip from rotating off of the valve stem. In keeping the rocker in place, the guide plate becomes a friction point at the push rod. This requires you to use hardened pushrods. If you don't use the hardended ones, they will fail! I found that proper adjustment of the guide plates can be tedious, but all you are trying to do is get the rocker tip centered on the valve stem. Don't forget the valve lash adjustment either(a. close the valve, b. turn the nut until you take up the slack in the pushrod, c. tighten 1/2 turn, d. set the lock screw, e. repeat for the other 15 valves). Also, you probably need to use orange gasket sealent on the rocker stud threads because they may pass into the water jackets.
I have recently done all of this work and even had the machine shop tech inspect my work.
I would like to know more about push rod length checking though. The shop tech just looked at it and told be to use .080 or .100 over length. I thought there was more science to it than this, but the roller tip seams to ride near the center of the valve through the full rotation, so I guess it's okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts