Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I hate asking this you'll probably think I'm ignorant but is the 63 Galaxie with bucket seats hard to get in and out of for anyone other than me. When I ordered carpet they wanted to know if the front floor was flat or did it have a well in it. Mine is flat and I'm bumping my head all the time trying to get in the car. I'm just 5' 11" so I'm not that tall. I don't think the bucket seat has too much foam in it either. Just wondering. Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Guys,
I hate asking this you'll probably think I'm ignorant but is the 63 Galaxie with bucket seats hard to get in and out of for anyone other than me. When I ordered carpet they wanted to know if the front floor was flat or did it have a well in it. Mine is flat and I'm bumping my head all the time trying to get in the car. I'm just 5' 11" so I'm not that tall. I don't think the bucket seat has too much foam in it either. Just wondering. Jim
Jim,
funny you should bring this up but, I'm only 5'8" and I have knocked my hat off more than once??? I have an '64 XL with dished bucket seats:confused:.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's nice to know that it's not just me. I've still got the front seats to re-upholster so I'm going to take a good look at the frame and see if I can drop it down some. An inch would be great, anything would be better. I got into the car yesterday and with it being cold I had to bend my neck just to get in. Jim

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are we all tlaking about the same body style? Does it matter which?
I am 6' and I have no problem getting in or out of thge boxtop version
except that I find that it is a wide step over the door jam/sill (whatever you call it).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The convertible was worse than the hardtop. We almost had to look over the top of the windshield when driving. I found a source for an extra set of tracks and cut them in half. Slid them down and rewelded them. Not pretty but the trim piece on the side covered it and we are atleast 1" lower than before and cocked backwards a hair more.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
The 63,5 Fast back uses the convertible windshield, So the roof line is 2 or 3 inches lower. That was done to reduce wind drag for Nascar. The record books says it worked. Yes I have to back into my 63.5, Not very elegant but it works.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
432bullit,
Do you mean you turn away from the car and set your ass on the seat first. Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey after reading this, im glad Im not the only windowlicker that knocks his nugget gettin in and out of the car. for it being so flippin big, you almost have to crawl into it.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey after reading this, im glad Im not the only windowlicker that knocks his nugget gettin in and out of the car. for it being so flippin big, you almost have to crawl into it.
Now I don't care who you are, that's funny. And, in my case it's true. Jim

·
Registered
924 Posts
Heck me and my wife are both short at about 5'5" and she is always banging her head getting in and out of our 61 convertible. Me it seems the car is so low I find myself kind of rolling out of it, nothing grace full at all. And watching someone trying to get in and extract themselves from the back seat is pure comedy. And like mentioned above kind of funny for a 20' car.
Mike

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try backing into the seat tomorrow to see if that helps. It amazes me that they made a trunk that you could lay a mattress in and provide sleeping acommodations for three grown people and still bump your head getting into the drivers seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
OK I'll get a little serious now........
My fastback has '65/'66 bucket seats mounted in it. As far as I can tell, they have been mounted a few inches further back, and probably a little lower.
I'm 6'3", and I enter the car with my butt in the seat first, then swing my legs into position. I have no problems with head room, remembering that the fastback has a lower roof than a boxtop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I was driving my 64 on Saturday and wondering where all the head room went and thinking that the tracks need to be lower. It's funny how the subject comes up independently in conversation just a couple of days later. I think the problem is worse on the passengers side so I'll definitely have a go at lowering the seats, probably try to utilize tracks from another vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If anybody does lower their seat tracks or get some from another car, please post some pics of the work. itll be fun to see what works. itll be named "save the nugget mod". :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am "only" 6ft 8 inches tall , I fit much better to my 58 edsel with power seat than in my 64 galaxie with manual seat.. Also my big belly is much closer to steering wheel when I am cruising with my galaxie. I think 58 junior series edsels do have more leg room too..

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
That's why you own convertibles!
So you can drive around without bumping your head. :)

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ragtop64XL,
I have the belly problem with both my cars. The 57 is the most comfortable to drive and it's my everyday car. The headroom is a lot better in the 57 also. If it weren't for having to buy new steering wheels they'd be tilt. Jim

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts