Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the extra money for better heads really be worth it and will they REALLY be better for my combo and the way I intend to use the car.

This is a 64 Fairlane 500 4 door with C-4 and 3.00 gears which I intend to keep. It will be a street only machine that will likely NEVER (or very very very seldom) see the drag strip/ It will be a semi-daily driver/cruiser. I want decent highway economy, and reasonably snappy performance around town/ It will very seldom see 6000 RPM with the most common range being off-idle to about 4,500.

I am leaning most strongly toward going the 327/331 route with a pretty mild cam and dual plane or RPM air-gap.

Whatever I do it will be a more powerful combo than I had originally planned. I had planned to just rebuild the old 289 with a mild cam, and C8OE-F heads, untill the machine shop told me that one of my heads was junk.

For some of you the difference between $1100 and $1350 heads may be chump change, but for me it's real money. That's why I keep questioning whether it's really worth the extra money for "the best" heads for my mild combo.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
For you probibly not. Power heads offeres stock heads that have been ported by them for about 650 dollars that might be your best bet. Sorry i cannot give you more info on the company. If you want some more performance I might go with some roush 180 heads or some edelbrock performers .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was in a similar place 6 months ago.. Now I have a 331, canfields and Jay Allen sft cam. I haven't fired the motor yet though. Damn mission creep.

Stay away from PowerHeads. I had a set about 10 years ago(hard to find 54cc heads) and there were all kinds of quality control problems. I've also had Thumpers which were much much better but shipping was $$$ depending were you live. He's east coast, I'm west coast.

I've seen your posts here and on Woody's board. If it was a perfect world and you could have your "drothers", I'd say stock 302 (good build though) with an AOD trans w/3.55 gears. I know you can't do this but...

As for 327/342 stuff, pick your power level and build the car to that. If you go 347/aluminum heads will your trans hold up? How about that 3.00 rear? Do you have a posi or are you gonna smoke one tire on accident at every green light? You 289 carb ain't gonna work on that motor and your fuel lines better not be 5/16". You get the point. Your combination doesn't end at your flexplate.

If you do go for a stroker, go for the good heads (I liked the Canfields) with a cam that will make the car run how YOU want it to. Another option would be a 302 with 69/70 351 heads. Just remember that if you can't afford to do it right the first time, you really can't afford to do it a second time.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Those Pro toplines were back when they had a huge auction for bakruptcy litigation. Alot of "B" stock and blem heads. A set I saw had the words porous written all over the box. For what its worth

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Put a set of stock 351 W heads on it. You will lose a lot of your low end going to the aftermarket heads and that is where you say you will need it. You can match the ports to the gaskets and grind the emission lump flush and they will be great for the very occassional jump to 6000 and the best breathing heads at 4500 that money can buy.
Paul

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You sure don't need anything exotic for strong rpms up to 4500,certainly not big port aluminium heads..I did see some pretty cheap cast iron units from RHS on ebay.

J-code 306 [email protected] build underway

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 11/20/06 9:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
331 Posts
I prefer Canfields. Second choice Elderbrock.

The HP is in the heads. Spend your money wisely. Do your homework and buy the best you can afford heads. You won't be sorry.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
you can still get twisted wedge heads at ford performance soulutions for 995.00 and the wont kill low end and still have 202 int valves And will fit.
for a mild 289 I'd find some gt-40x or p's p,s are cheap but require special headers.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Your not gonna get a better cyl head for 995.00 and on a 331/347 stock heads would be defeating the purpose. Even in ported form stock heads dont compare to aftermarket heads period.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/05/heads/index.php

81 Mustang Coupe
351W/AOD 12.13 111.7
budget 87 octane street and highway driver

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qtrhors on 11/20/06 9:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
PM sent

1 - 12 of 12 Posts