Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some help and have to rely on the vast quantities of knowledge from you more experienced Ford guys and gals.

What intakes will fit up to Edel. 60069 heads?
What are the dimensions or tell tale signs or differences between a medium riser and low riser intake to look for?

I have found an old HM dual quad intake with no markings other than the famous hm on it. I'm just not sure whether it will fit the EDEL heads.

I have looked through previous posts but seem to have a hard time figuring out if the hm intake will fit the aluminum Edel heads as I do not have the intake currently in my hands to verify port dimensions although I have been told that it has 1 1/4 X 1 7/8 ports. So is it feasible to believe that the intake or heads may be worked by port matching to create a good combination without any ill effects?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so 80 of our finest members with a great deal of knowledge have viewed this and no one seems to have any ideas. That's funny.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
If your info is correct, the HM port dimensions would indicate medium riser. That should be close to the Edel heads, but I don't think anyone without an HM manifold and 60069 head in their laps will commit to that. Stretching here, but I would think Edelbrock would know if it matches the MR port and location - at least by suggested gasket. What did Edelbrock say when you called them?

David

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't called them as of yet but have researched the heads and the manual states that they will fit intakes with ports no larger than 1.94” x 1.24”.

Below are two quotes that I found in a set of installation instructions and an add description:

"Generally, Performer RPM FE cylinder heads are similar in design to Ford 427 Medium Riser cylinder heads. The deck, intake flange, exhaust flange,
and valve cover flange are in the stock locations. Spark plug location and angle is the same as stock. Intake and exhaust port flange openings are
the same as a 427 Ford Medium Riser head. The intake flange is compatible with our Performer RPM FE intake manifold #7105, Victor intake manifolds
#2936 and 2937 as well as 427 Medium Riser and 428 CJ/SCJ/Police Interceptor intake manifolds or intake manifolds with a stock port exits no larger
than 1.94” x 1.24”. Performer RPM FE cylinder heads are not compatible with 427 High Riser, Low Riser, and Tunnel Port intake manifolds or any
manifold with a stock port exit larger than 1.94” x 1.24”."

"Combustion chamber volume 72cc Intake runner volume 170cc Exhaust runner volume 125cc Intake valve diameter 2.09" (B) Exhaust valve diameter 1.66" (B) Valve stem diameter 3/8" Valve guides Manganese bronze Deck thickness 5/8" Valve spring diameter 1.55" Valve spring maximum lift .600" Rocker stud N/A Guideplate N/A Pushrod diameter 3/8" Valve angle 13° Exhaust port location Stock Spark plug fitment 14mm x 3/4 reach, gasket seat Made In USA"

So would it be best to clean up any machine marks and have the heads match to the intake ? What would be the route you would take?

Thank you for your input. I really do appreciate the insight. I have been continuing to compile parts and am finally getting the heads and will be picking up a dual quad intake soon.

Thanks again.

Tommy

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would clean up casting marks but not polish.. i have heard polishing the intake causes the fuel to not stay atomized when traveling to the cylinder which isnt good.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Low riser intake ports are 2.34" x 1.34". Medium risers are 1.94" x 1.25". Both intakes will bolt up to the Edelbrock heads, but the low riser will have a big step at the bottom of the runner. The LR style ports are noticeably taller than the later MR ports. Usually when port matching it is done to the opening of the gasket.

·
Registered
419 Posts
BTW, lots of guys run the LR intakes on Ed heads without an issue, and Jay Brown proved in his book that it doesn't make much of a HP difference on engines under 500 HP.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
Edelbrock heads are med riser ports, same as a 1247 Felpro gasket

You can run low or med riser intakes on them, but not high riser. As stated before you have some port mismatch with a LR head, but they run fine. The real issue is that the LR manifolds just don't flow that well in general, so really no reason to run one unless you just HAVE to have dual quads

The high riser is a VERY tall port and although HM would certainly use some, the vast majority of hot 427s were medium or low risers, so odds are with you that its a low/med.

See below high riser is on the far right:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts