Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

Currently my car (64 Galaxie 500xl with a 428) has the cast iron exhaust manifolds on it. The previous owner gave me a set of headers for it. On the plate the primary tubes are welded to it has the following stamped on it "GREEN 263899". I do have receipts from Green ford parts (Greensalescompany.com) for the cast iron exhaust manifolds, however I have not been able to track down these headers. I will post a pic of the headers tomorrow.

So what I am looking for is recommendations on a good set of headers that will fit my car and provide a bit of performance increase.

Thanks in advance.

Mel

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
As you neglected to give any specifics about the make up of the engine or what you plan to use it for I will just refer to a book written by Jay Brown titled The Great FE Intake Comparo.
Jay conducted over 4 years of Dino research on different FE combinations and while the book primarily is concerned with Intake manifolds there is also a good section on FE headers.
He tests several good header combinations for a mild 428 build (under 500 HP). Of those tested the best are the tri-Y type built by FPA for a mildly modified 428 and the tri-Y headers by JBA for a basically stock 428 engine.
The major differences between the two is that the JBA uses a smaller collector pipe and they use an unconventional tube paring, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8. while the FPA uses the more conventional 1-2, 3-4, 5-7, 6-8 pattern.

Hope this helps?

Scott...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info.

My motor is moderately built. Just the usuall Edelbrock heads, intake and cam setup.....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You would be well served to look at the FPA headers. A quality product, expensive, but they fit well and are designed to run with a lowered front end so you don't have to run the front end high to keep them from dragging.
I use them on my 61 with a 428 and have had no issues in 6 years with them. I would however recommend a set of the embossed copper header gaskets to keep them leak free and if you have the medium riser Edelbrock heads with the 16 bolt holes I would run all 16 bolts.

Scott...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts