Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
As mentioned, the ports are the same. The problem with using the smaller engine's headers are that the 351 is both taller and wider than the 289. This can lead to interference with various things that were not a problem with the 289's stock location. Frames, motor mounts, shock towers can all be sources of interference.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Depends on the header. Hooker lists the same # for both 289/302 applications and 351W in a Mustang. Looking at them with a 302 in the car and looking at the tranny crossmember - I don't see how. For the Fairlane youll probably want to find some that are application specific. Or just trim the towers some.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy thats selling them, bought them for a 64 and said they fit. I was worried about the column shift linkage but he said it was ok. Only difference is was his was a 289. Guess I'll have to see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fordified64 on 1/25/06 3:34am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
On 2006-01-24 12:32, Fordified64 wrote:
The guy thats selling them, bought them for a 64 and said they fit. I was worried about the column shift linkage but he said it was ok. Only difference is was his was a 289. Guess I'll have to see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fordified64 on 1/25/06 3:34am ]</font>
Yeah he's going to say they'll work for your car because he wants to sell them.
Headers are usually application specific like mentioned above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts