Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 351W into a '67 Fairlane that will have a T-5 and a Z-bar linkage. No power steering. I'm thinking of using Hooker Headers PART# 6901-1HKR like these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6901-1hkr?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn_LrBRD4ARIsAFEQFKvJrgfvYonnwnsSvqmQkEaV5ONp-4_ERak9dia_n-NudcuotebGbtEaAhkfEALw_wcB

I'd appreciate some feedback from anyone that has actually made this swap and used these headers. I've read too many horror stories about headers that are "claimed" to fit and simply don't.

Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think you would be better off not using that one. It is for a 289-302 and IMHO it would be too tight up against the body. Plus ( something I found when I did my '67 Ranchero 351W swap) the Mustang and Failrlane firewalls have enough difference that Mustang headers often do not fit on the last two tubes. Look at the Hedman offerings or a swap header from Hooker. The taller 351 block makes things different. I ended up altering a Mustang set to fit mine.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Research the Hooker 6208. It's a 1-3/4" full length header designed to swap a 351W into 65-66 mustang... or any early mustang. Many use them in the 67-up mustangs because they offer more room. May be people using them in Fairlanes. I knew of a guy who used them in a Granada, but had to modify them a bit... but that's a Granada. lol

Some Google searches may show if people are successfully using them in Fairlanes.

Good Luck

·
Registered
7,414 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Summit advertises the headers in question as fitting a 351W in a '67 Fairlane. I also found these Flowtech headers on the Holley website that are supposed to fit my application:

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/headers_and_exhaust_manifolds/long_tube/parts/32100FLT

However, these are 1-1/2" and 18 ga. and the Hookers are 1-5/8" and 16 ga. I'm running ProMaxx heads but I don't know how the port configuration compares with anything else.

If anyone has installed either the Hookers or the Flowtechs on a 351W in a '67 Fairlane I'd really appreciate hearing how it went.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Why the long tubes?

I'm running Dougs mid length on my Ranchero with a windsor and they fit great. And w/o the collectors under the car, it leaves more room for the slave cylinder, plus they tuck up nicely and have never drug over anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts