Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the header gaskets on my 351C 4V ...

Looking for opinions from you guys about which ones are the best ...

I have been using the fiber type with metal sandwiched in and can't seem to put an end to the leaks ...

I think at this point the gaskets are just plain old ... Blown Out

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've used the Hooker paper-composite gaskets with great success on my 351C-4V. I even re-used them about 4 times! Secret is the Ultra Copper RTV. Make sure to let it set up for 10 minutes or so, and it seals up real nice. What are you running for headers? May want to give the port flanges a clean up with a board sander and some 80 grit. I also have a set of Victor graphite composites I bought from Napa, haven't used them yet, but the ones I had on the 350 SBC in my dually never blew out.

PS: Make sure the headers are for a 4V motor, you'll never seal a 2V header to a 4V head, will just keep burning out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 3/16/02 12:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
ive been using the ROL graphite gaskets. Havent had a leak yet, and they are reuseable.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headers are Hooker "Competition Headers" full length.

Anyone with experience using the 100% metal gaskets ... Either Copper or Aluminum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I run the Mr. Gasket copper header gaskets on my 460.

I coat both sides of the gasket with Hi-temp RTV. Never have a problem!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
MonsterMach if this is a regular problem that won;t go away I would check the header flange along the ports to make sure it is straight .Sometimes you're better off to cut the flange between each port so that each port can seal itself individually.Also make sure there is no slag or crap left over from when the headers where welded together that might be keeping them from sealing tight.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check the mating surface when I make the change ...

I can see where that could be an insermountable problem. I remember checking them out when I installed them and didn't notice anything that looked to be a problem, but a closer look now may be in order

I want to insure I make a good choice of gaskets for the replacement before dig into it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had the same prob with my Hooker super comps for the 4v heads too. The best gaskets I have found so far, are the Mr G Ultra-Seals. I havent been able to find anyone that makes an all aluminum or dead soft copper exhaust gasket for that head. (so if you find one, please let me know)

The problem I have found with my headers, is that the flange where the gasket is supposed to seal against is smaller than the hole in the gasket on most gaskets (I have yet to get a Fel-pro that fits worth a da*n on those headers). The way I have found to make them seal is by laying a bead of permatex orange on the inner portion of the flange before putting the gasket on. I usually glue mine to the flange before putting the headers in the car. So far, it has worked real well the last 2 seasons doing it that way. And since I run mufflers on my racecar, I can hear an exhaust leak clearly (and it sounds terrible).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sorry to drug up a old post, just looking for updates on the most trouble free gaskets, header and collector wise.
I am going to cut off the collecters and replace with a ball socket collector, but for now, the bolt flange is what I have.
I am running a 351c 2v, but honest to go never heard until today using silicone to help seal around the ports.
Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I Run the cheap paper gaskets, but the trick is to let them soak in water for a couple of hours, then install them, and fire the car up. Once the gasket warms, the water evaporates and they stick like snot. Never had a header leak once i tried this method.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts