Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a winter ugrade to my Ranchero and need some direction from my opinionated brethren......
What I got is a '63 Ranchero with a 289 / 4 Speed and 3.20 gears in the stock 8" rear. The engine is a .040" over 289 with stock pistons and stock heads. A Crane Energizer H278 H10 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and a small Carter. I think it's about 500 cfm.
The plan is to keep the bottom end as is and focus on getting it to breathe better. I have a line on a set of mildly ported stock heads with bigger valves and roller rockers. Not sure how big but bigger. A Performer RPM to replace the 2121 in there now and re-jet the Carter. Finally, exhaust. I'm expelling gasses through stock manifolds and a 2 1/4" system with glass packs and an H pipe. I don't wat to go long tube headers so do I go HiPo 289 manifolds or a set of shorty's? What is the best bang for a thin wallet?
Come on, let's here it!!
Thanx, Mike

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Why no long tubes?..They are the best of the bunch...Most shorties I have seen interfere with the clutch linkage where it attaches to the engine so you may want to do some research on that before choosing..As for HiPo manifolds I don't think they are all that much better than stock manifolds..I like your plans for the engine..They should help a bunch if you improve the exhaust flow as well...Also some glass pack mufflers are very restrictive ..What type are you running?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why no long tubes?..They are the best of the bunch...Most shorties I have seen interfere with the clutch linkage where it attaches to the engine so you may want to do some research on that before choosing..As for HiPo manifolds I don't think they are all that much better than stock manifolds..I like your plans for the engine..They should help a bunch if you improve the exhaust flow as well...Also some glass pack mufflers are very restrictive ..What type are you running?
My car is super low and I know the long tubes will get beat up quickly. I was wondering about HiPo manifolds just for installation ease. The glass packs are nothing special. Probably Walker's or something inexpensive and are 24 inches or so long.I didn't know they were that restrictive. In fact I thought they were just the opposite! What about that carb? Too small?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I use Tri-Y headers. Doug's. Fit is amazing. D660YS for your application. Definitely worth the money. Should be the last headers you'll buy if you get the ceramic coated ones.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Tri-Y headers. Doug's. Fit is amazing. D660YS for your application. Definitely worth the money. Should be the last headers you'll buy if you get the ceramic coated ones.
Yup. I'm aware of these and yes they are a thing of beauty and I've heard they are the easiest to install on my car with its T-10 transmission. If my car wasn't so low, these would be my first choice fer sure, but since I can't even get a drip pan to slide past the oil pan without pulling up on the bumper or jacking it up, they would just get hammered.:frown:

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
These headers do not hang down at all. In fact they give you at least as much clearance as stock exhaust. They sit higher than the subframe. If you scrape these your hitting something else first.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These headers do not hang down at all. In fact they give you at least as much clearance as stock exhaust. They sit higher than the subframe. If you scrape these your hitting something else first.
Really? I magined them dropping way down and being lower than the pan. Damn, I need to find some cash! Thanx for the heads up!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Another cheap option might be to get some of the cheapy TRI-Y headers from the mustang repo places..I installed a set on my sisters 66 mustang coupe and they had excellent ground clearance staying up inside the frame rails..

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Mustang ones won't fit in a Falcon. Especially a stick car. You need Falcon specific headers.

Cheers
Matt
PS: The passenger side header installs real easy. Drivers side is a different story. Remove motor mount, jack up engine, install header and zbar at same time, throw tools, ect.....

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Mustang ones won't fit in a Falcon. Especially a stick car. You need Falcon specific headers.

Cheers
Matt
PS: The passenger side header installs real easy. Drivers side is a different story. Remove motor mount, jack up engine, install header and zbar at same time, throw tools, ect.....
Can you say why they won't fit?..They follow the engine very closely so shouldn't be any shock tower issues..Yes the Z bar linkage is a bit of a challenge even on the mustangs..

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Well you have a good point. I know the part number for mustang is different. I also know the Falcon has a narrower engine compartment. I tried alot of different headers when building my 64 Falcon and finally broke down and bought these Doug's headers. You could try the Mustang ones but why not just order the correct parts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts