Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
VHT ceramic paint is about the best for rattle can paint. You can get it at Summit Racing.
Use the base coat and the clear coat and then follow the break in proceedure to the tee. They will last a long time with a properly prepped surface.
Are they rusted? Or new? if new then have them bead blasted. That gives a great surface for the paint to stick. If they are old and rusty then have them chemicaly stripped before you paint. Otherwise the rust will just come through in no time.

GL!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
John Deere Muffler Black paint is about the best I have seen, but that won't do you a bit of good if you want them painted white. I still have that black JD paint on my headers....a good 5+ years old and they still look good with the exception of the spots where they rub the frame rails.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
The Seymour Cast Blast and Hot Spot sprays have done very well on turbocharger turbine housings I've done with it - and they get much hotter than headers. The actual Cast Blast color is supposed to match cast iron, and is very close, but looks to me (after the first few heat cycles) like it has a tan tint to it. Still looks good though, as it's one color and obviously not rust. Prep the parts well! If rusty, the electrolysis method may be useful and inexpensive to boot.

David

·
Registered
238 Posts
If your going to paint and not ceramic coat the headers, then this is what I did and it's holding up quite well so far.

- Sand blast the headers
- Clean them with Duplicolor PrepSpray and let dry
- Paint with VHT Flameproof primer
- Allow to dry 15-25min until it becomes barely tacky
- Paint with VHT Flameproof colored paint (the flatter the better such as flat aluminum/silver)
- Allow to dry 15-25min until it becomes barely tacky
- The final coat will be VHT Flameproof Clear.
- Allow to completely dry for 2-5days
- Very carefully mount them so as to not scratch the newly painted headers. Masking off the rough parts of the engine bay and covering your headers with a thin foam sheet (found in electronics packaging) followed by brown packaging paper worked great for me.
- Follow the directions on the can to heat cure them with your running engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts