Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Header wrap can trap moisture between the wrap and the header - it causes rust according the header manufacturers and they won't back up the warranty on their headers if yu use tape. It is better to coat them or have them coated with ceramic coatings.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I put header wrap on a motorcycle I had to keep my boots from melting on the hi-mount pipes. It made no increase in HP (I had it dyno'd before and after). It did do a good job of keeping my boots from melting though. It also did an awesome job of getting incredibly dirty and crappy looking and needed to be replaced yearly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It does seem to work pretty good as a heat shield, but It's not good for the header. Traps moister and rots the steel over time.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some great answer's.Hey pauls1950,i live in auburn,do you know someone local who does ceramic coating?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I use a sleeve on my headers. Is not a wrap, fits somewhat loosely and only covers the first 20 in. of each header tube. It cuts down on the underhood temps a good deal and so far has not caused any longevity or rust issues. As far as a place to do coatings, Performance Coatings is in Auburn (253)-735-1919 is the contact number. I have used them to coat several sets of headers/sidepipes and they do good work.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I used it on some turbo headers once. It did what it was supposed to. Kept the heat inside the pipes. Helped spool time by about 200 RPM. How well the held up is a guess...I didn't run them that long before it was all pulled & sold.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
No need for me to do anything but say..."x3"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts