Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with using Total Performance headers for a 460 into a '67 mustang? I just received a set. They are a slip fit, and the rear tube on each side crosses under the oil pan to the opposite collector.
Any experience with installation or effectiveness of this setup would be appreciated.
Tom

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Haven't used the 460 ones but I had a set for my '67 with a 427, worked well. Same headers stock/super stock guys run. You should like them... except the tight fit

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm running that setup on my 67. there's a somewhat specific sequence to getting the tubes on. I'd tell you if i could remember, but it's kind of a trial and error thing, it's not hard but takes a couple hours the first time - a second person is definitely useful but I did it alone. Well I did it alone one of the times, which reminds me, make sure everything else is all squared away before you put them on. I had to install mine 3 times, due to a bad starter and a torque converter not installed right not allowing to motor to turn. Mine never fit as nicely as they did the first time.. All slip over collecters leak in my experience. Try using high heat rtv or copper liquid gasket.leavethe bolts a little bit loose until you have the collector on, then tighten them down. Tap on the collector with a rubber mallet after the bolts are tightened to send it home. I was never able to get the bolts that hold the collect to the tubes to line up on the driver side but haven't had any problems. Your ground clearance is limited, i had to smack mine on the asphault a few times before I got the idea. That low tube still kisses the ground once in a while, I'm using new stock replacement springs - my old ones put it unacceptably low. There was also a small clearance problem with a lower control arm but that apparently remedied itself. They sure look cool, I used clothy heat wrap on mine to help with the heat problem.
email me if you have any more questions
[email protected]
Matt Williams

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. If I run into any problems/questions when installing, I'll email you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have them on mine, definately coat them, so you dont cook a starter, tight fit but do work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts