Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and I am building a 64 Galaxie fastback clone of a lightweight. I have used all of Crites fiberglass. The car is fiberglass from the front windshield to the front bumper and also the trunck lid and rear bumper is fiberglass. I have been working on this car now for about 2 years. I have just finished the motor and its in the car now. Its a 460 stroked to 514 backed by a 4speed toploader and let me tell you it has been one thing after another, but it has been fun and the learning curve has been high. I am now at the point that I need headers. Has anybody used this combo and can recomend some headers that will work. I have thought about Crites headers. I know they say they are for an automatic but I thought maby I could make the work with a 4speed. Also I have looked a FPA shorty headers and as of now thats the way I am leaning. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Bud, I'm new here and trying to find info on putting a 460 into mt 1964 galaxie. Got the motor and a c-6 tranny and have ben to the crites website. Still unsure if this is something I want to try. Any advise??
Donco

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Bud, I'm new here and trying to find info on putting a 460 into mt 1964 galaxie. Got the motor and a c-6 tranny and have ben to the crites website. Still unsure if this is something I want to try. Any advise??
Donco

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
donco, I had no problem putting the 460 in the car. It fit like a glove and I did use Crites motor mounts. I have heard people say that those mounts sit the motor up a little high, but for me that was not a problem since I went with a bubble scoop hood. I think the only thing you have to decide is weather you want to go big or stay stock. This is my frist engine build and I have found out their is alot to learn when you stroke a motor and use hydraulic roller cam, roller rockers, etc.,etc. While building this motor I have realized that everything else on the car now has to be up to the challange of the motor. I really dont know what this engine will dyno at yet, but I think it will be around 550 to 600hp range. I think if you stay mostly stock its really no big deal. The 460 from what I have read is a great engine and has been around a long time and the sky is the limit on horse power for this block. It has been costly for me, but I know when I turn the key for the frist time and drop the clutch it will all be worth it. Goodluck and keep me posted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
headers will have to be home made so to speak, myself and a guy on the 460 forum i think and a few on this site are the odd balls who put a stick behind that engine combo. i'm going to use the crites headers and i already know that i have to modify #7,8 and possibly #4 tube but all other are a go. you'll have to make a bracket for the z-bar too if you are running a stock type clutch linkage. that particular bracket bolts on to the back off the bellhousing and not on the block like the FE's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on the headers. I had thought about the crites headers and I thought I would have to do some modifications on them. I am with you on the z-bar problem and I have already made a bracket for that problem, but have not put it on yet. Did you check out the FPA shorty headers and if so what did you think about them. Also have you thought about a hydraulic clutch. I did talk to someone at crites and they said their headers would work with a hydraulic clutch. I was thinking about giving it some thought before I bought my headers. Hey whats up with everybody on this forum did they forget that real muscle cars had 4speeds. I really dont get it! Muscle car, big motor, lots of Horse Power, jam some gears, what else could be better!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey 500, thanx for the good words. Gonna stay mostly stock but have a set of KB 9.5 pistons and a comp hydro cam with a moderate lift to spice it u a bit. This thing ought to make 400 hp with a good carb and headers and that will make this stock looking galaxie fun to drive.
Thanks again
Donco

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Doing a 64 Galaxie 460-toploader. I'm using FPA headers. He modified the front tube on the left side on one for a 57-59 Ford. Fit like a glove. The right side 63-64 Galaxie 460 header needs a little tweeking to clear the body mount at the firewall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the site. The guy I bought my '64 fastback from had headers custom made for the 460. He said it was not cheap at all. I'm guessing yours would also be a custom job.

Custom LT Headers w/ Flowmaster Mufflers
16" American Racing Chrome Torq-Thrust Wheels

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: acadian on 1/3/07 2:25am ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
acadian, Thats one sweet ride. I hate to hear the car is no longer in North Carolina, but lucky for you. I see lots of sweet Impala's around here and so very few Galaxie's that I would call cool. Thanks for the post and I am beginig to see that I will have to do some kind of custom fit on my headers no matter which way I go.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Hi i have a 1964 Galaxie with 545 stroker engine and a c6. I used Crites engine mounts and headers,fits like a glove....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts