Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing a 351 Windsor swap into my 1966 custom 500. It's been stroked out to 408ci and made 475 Crank hp and 487fpt!! Can't wait to get it finished! Everything is done but the headers! I have a set of Douge Thorleys that were on a 302 I had in the car and they no longer fit due to the deck height and the angle of the heads! Headers seem to be impossible to find for this application. There has to be another full size car that has a similar engine bay. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated ! Can't wait to hear this thing fire up! Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Torino's starting in '72 went to a full frame chassis with rear steer. There should be more applications listed for them. A place to start, anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the advice, I am hitting a wall trying to find something that will work! I would like to find a set of long tube headers but i might be stuck running a set of bbk shorties! Do u know of any other full size frame car with a similar engine bay that might be a good candidate ? Thanks again

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice, I am hitting a wall trying to find something that will work! I would like to find a set of long tube headers but i might be stuck running a set of bbk shorties! Do u know of any other full size frame car with a similar engine bay that might be a good candidate ? Thanks again
I don't think I can give any more specific options. I think the chassis in my car is similar to the chassis they started using in 65. people put 460's in cars like yours, so the engine bay size should not be a concern. I ended up with Flowtech 12100's because Hooker 6901's were out of stock. No matter what you get, you need to expect some tweaking will be required.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just responded to 65er in another thread for 351W 65-67 headers.

I used these hedman's Hedman Hedders 88660 - Hedman Specialty and Engine Swap Hedders - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The full tube headers only needed a bit of tweeking (no cutting) for the # 1 cylinder tube to clear the crossmember.

They are only 1 5/8 primary tubes, if that matters. They are for a Torino, and from what I can tell, that is the largerst primary diameter any of the companies make for a long tube 351W Torino.

At $180 (painted) I didn't feel bad if I had to do some modifying to make them work. I will be sending them to Jet-Hot to get coated Jet-Hot Extreme 1300 | Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings. They qouted me $ 285 to coat the inside and outside in the 1300 Sterling finish. Its supposed to reduce the under-hood temp by 50 degrees and keep the pipes about 300ºF cooler. The up charges for the other coatings were from $50-150 more in you want the extreme sterling or other colors.

Hope this helps. I will post a pic or two hopefully tonight to show them installed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know, I know, I need to give some love to the engine bay.

Passenger side #1 primary and crossmember
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Passenger side collector

Drivers side, clears power brakes, power steering and steering linkage

Drivers side collector with steering clearance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much mase_met!! Im stoked to hear there are other options out there, I have a set of 650$$ ceramic coated Doug Thorleys that I was just about to start hacking up haha I'm glad I checked the fourm first. I think buying the cheaper heades like you did is they way to go, modify them then ceramic coat them and you are still money ahead!! Going to put in an order right now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you post those pics of the header fitment again? they were deleted, just what to see how much persuading i have to do to them!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it all figured out! Headerman #88660 work great! They clear everything on the drivers side flawlessly but need alittle mod the #1 cyl tube on passenger side, i just dinged it with a hammer. Heades seem always seem to be a very tricky part of any swap unless you have a dime a dozen car. Took it for a spin today, that 408 stroker is 100% nasty, its all over the place if you just blip the throttle! ! Now it's time for a disc brake swap! Thanks for the advice guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts