Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have this setup or know of anyone that does, please help me with available headers for this. I really don't want to spend $362 for a set of Hooker 6208's unless I have to. I have 185 AFR heads. Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hedman sells a set of swap headers that are supposed to fit. They are about $100 for either shorty or longtube. I have a set of new shorties sitting around if your interested, they are actually more mid length when compared to the shorties they sell for the 289/302.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The Heddman headers are only 1 5/8", the extra cubes of the 351W shout out for larger 1 3/4" tubes... which are what Hooker #6208 swap units are constructed of. These are true high performance large tube swap headers designed for transplanting 351W's into 65-70 mustangs. They work with 4-speed trannys too.

They cost a bit more than the smaller Heddman's, but if you are after performance, they are worth it. Fit is supposed to be very good, especially with the larger engine bays of the 67-70 mustangs.

Good Luck!

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 2/28/02 9:47am ]</font>

·
Registered
698 Posts
Only 1 5/8? What size is your collector? 3" ? 4x1 5/8" =? Much more than say 3" Where is the restriction, could be in the collector not the primaries.

The 1/8" interference on each side of the exhaust port at the header flange can be clearanced with a die grinder.

I don't believe a street 351w or 393w with AFR 185's and headers problem area will be the header primary size, but do think it would be traction.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought the cheapo Summit engine swap headers for my '68 and they are just that -cheapo. They started to rust immediately after I stored the car fo the winter and one fo the bolts is a B!TCH to get in (read: hammer time). If I had to do it over, I would spent the extra $ for a GOOD set of headers.

<U>Cheap sucks. </U>

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Only 1 5/8? What size is your collector? 3" ? 4x1 5/8" =? Much more than say 3" Where is the restriction, could be in the collector not the primaries.
Saying the collector is the restriction MIGHT be valid if all four cylinders feeding into the collector fired AT THE SAME TIME. But they only fire one at a time, so the cross section of the collector does not need to be larger than the sum of the tubes.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dont see were swap headers are needed as headers for the 69/70 stang with 351W should work as the engine compartments from 67-70 are basicly the same.

·
Registered
314 Posts
On 2002-02-28 12:25, qtrhors wrote:
I dont see were swap headers are needed as headers for the 69/70 stang with 351W should work as the engine compartments from 67-70 are basicly the same.
They call them the 6208's swap headers because they will also work on a 65-66 with a 351W. I have the 6208's on my 69. The thing that makes them worth the money, besides the larger tubes is that they fit and are great quaility. It's not so much the distance between the shock towers, it's the location of everything down low. Steering box, frame rails, steering linkages, trans, etc. I had a set of regular Hookers for the 69-70 w 351W. Had to jack the motor up, remove the starter, remove the idler arm. They also interfered with the shifter cable bracket. bought a set of the Hedman long tube 351W headers. The quality was so bad on the welds that I refused to install them. Sold them at a loss.

Then I bought the 6208's. They fit. No jacking the motor, only had to remove the starter, nothing else. They slipped in place easily and will clear any trans. Their secret is that each header is two piece. One tube fits in from above, the 3 other tubes and collector go in from underneath. With these headers and Stage 8 bolts (due to the hex wrench cutout in the bolt head) the install and remove can be done in less than an hour.

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
do you guys know if heddman headers for 289-302 will also fit a 351w in a 68 mustang? how about with a 4 speed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts