Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What headers (mfg. & part #) fit a '74 GT with a 351C 2V ?
Need to replace the ones in the car that have no # or name I can find.
Thanx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Typical reply to suppliers inquiry:
I have done some research into all of the header manufacturers that we deal with including Hooker, Hedman, Doug’s, Patriot, and Flowtech. Unfortunately none of these companies currently offer a listing for your 74 model Ranchero with the 351C engine.

That included both 2 & 4V styles.
Funny that the car has manufactured headers on it now, but have not been able to determine mfg or origin.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just pulled out a 30 year old receipt. The only Super Comp header Hooker made SPECIFICALLY for a 351C/2V headed motor in the Torino/Ranchero chassis was the #6117. It disappeared from their catalog years ago. Had a set in a '74 Torino Sport w/ a 2V head Cleveland.

With Hooker, only, I "believe" the only remaining 2V Cleveland patterns they have remaining in their catalog, specifically for this chassis, are for the 351M/400 motors (taller/wider). You COULD get lucky with one of the Mustang patterns, just be sure before you spend the money.

To the best of my knowledge, the only vendor who builds a SPECIFIC long-tube header for your motor/chassis, is FPA. When you look at their part listing, it says 2V/4V. Doesn't mean it's a single, ready-made part that fits both, but that they'll build them to order for one or the other... whichever you need. Not cheap, but damned good.

Ford Powertrain Applications

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's really strange that most seem to fit '73 - '74 Torino, but only fit up to the '73 Ranchero. Then the '74 is skipped and they start again with '75 up--
Had the guy from Summit scratching his head over that awhile--
Beginning to think I'll have to keep the rusted ones and re-paint. Would be cheaper anyway. Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you bead blast them and re-paint with a high temp paint, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from old or new...unless they are totally pitted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That FordPowertrain link was great. Spoke to the owner, and once I recover from the cost of new pumpkin (500 gears don't work well on the street!!) I'll start saving up for a set. Would love to re-coat the ones I have, but the pitting is excessive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts