Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to bolt some 351 windsor heads on my 302. I want to upgrade to headers soon after. Should I look for a 351 W header a 302 header or are they interchangable?

Specifically, the motor will be in a 1968 Cougar with a C4. I want the headers to clear the fender wall and other factory components. Will the headers made for a 1968 302 stang work?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hooker pt #6111 is listed for both Mustang and Couger, so I assume a Mustang header will fit. Get them for the 302. They have differnt headers for the 351w beacuse of its 1" taller deck. If you have power steering, you'll need a drop bracket for the ram, Hooker pt #10961.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Knowing about the drop bracket is helpful as it needs the ram rebuilt as well.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Wild cat I dont know what your budget is, and there are a lot of decent headers out there, but if you want the best of the best go buy a set of JBA`s, more expensive yes, but you will never have exhaust leeks, you only have to tighten them once and they come with excellent chrome coating on them, and fit perfect. If you can get a shorty for that car that would be the way I would do it. But that is me.

I tightened mine down once, the only time they came loose was when we pulled them off to swap heads. They were on for 3 years no leeks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I thought that I would have to drop the PS ram with full-size headers. I was looking everywhere for some shorties so I did not have to do this, but the only ones I found were over 400 bucks. So, I decited I would just get big headers and drop the ram. Well, when I went down to the local summit warehouse to get, I found out that I did not have to lower it after all. I got the cheapest Headman header, i think they were like 89 bucks. I asked for the lowering kit, and they said I did not need it. i thought they did not know what they were talkin about, but sure enough they fit and I did not have to lower it. Oh, they went in the stang below.
When you order them, ask if you need the lowering kit, cause I guess for some you don't need it!
Good luck!
Matt

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Lucky basterd!

That would be very nice to have Summit down the street.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i like hookers as i have them, i have a friend that has jba, they both are the best but, jba has better fitting, with copper mr. gaskets.
but hookers seem to flow better, but what do i know, hookers have thinner metal and sound better! jba's that i know about are shorties, hookers are real race long, and i would go with those. just get coper gaskets and they wont burn though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i bought the el cheapo set from summit for $79, they had a little casting flash in the ports but they fit my '68 torino with a 351w ok

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I run Flowtech headers on my Fairlane, and the fit was awesome, and very good ground clearance now I put new coils in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just installed a set of Mac headers 3/8 flange and 16 gauge pipe good fit and no power steering lowering bracket needed HTS coated 225.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts