Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Well lets try this again. 1 5/8 headers are the most common header out there (1 or 2) 1 3/4 headers what size headers do you guys use what Brand is the best.Also do you run coated or nocoated headers.Is there any gain with coated headers like HP

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but here is a shot.... it's hard to say who makes the best header, since there are many variables. Some people prefer cost, others prefer fitment, and others want looks/longevity. You cant really screw up performance wise. I think Hooker and Hedman are two companies that make good headers with typically good fit. If you get Hookers hi-temp coated headers, they'll last a good long time. The Hooker Super Comps on our '67 have been going strong, no rust, for nearly five years now.

Summit headers are a great bargain, but will require periodic refinishing and some work with a ball peen to get a perfect fit.

I think coatings are helpful... any time you reduce underhood heat you gain in many areas. May be hard to measure performance gains, but they are possible.... more importantly you cut down on hot air under there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I always say, "If your gonna do it, do it right the first time".
Go with Hooker or Headman, and get them ceramic coated. You wont have any problems with fit or finish. And you'll have a header that will last a long time.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have used Hooker super comps on a couple of my cars and they are good. No disrespect to those who use Hooker`s or other headers but when I compared my JBA`s to the others the JBA`s are outstanding in quality, fit, finish, much better than what I have worked with in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I say go with the 1 3/4" headers of whichever brand you choose but that size will work well with your current 302 and with your possible stroker 351W at a later date. Coated headers really don't offer a real measurable performance gain but it will make them last many times longer and really improve the looks in the engine compartment too. If the longevity and appearance of the headers is important to you, then coating them is the way to go but if not, then coating isn't really needed.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

well I was also thinking of size 1 3/4 is ans big as hooker or headman make. so 1 3/4 is the way to go will they even work if we go to a stroker later will they be ok on 400+ ci

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hallo,
What do you think about the header-tapes?

a friend told me that it reduces also the temperature under the hood well.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
1 3/4" will work with a stroker making 600 horse and will more than get you by until at a later date when/if you wish to get bigger primaries at that time. You'd be surprised what 1 5/8" can do power wise if forced to use them. 1 3/4" will work fine and be much cheaper to run on the 302 and then use the same headers on the stroker.

robbie, the headers wrap works OK but it causes the header tubes to corrode from the outside in. It causes extreem metal fatigue and shortens the life of the headers by 50% or more. I would suggest not using wrap at all unless absolutely necessary for heat control or hot floor boards otherwise they won't last half as long as unwrapped headers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I actually just installed hooker comps on my '67 Cougar with a 289. Really happy with them, and as far as temp goes, it actually seems to have reduced both engine temp and underhood temp. Go figure. Although, I did also change my 2" pipes to 2 1/2". That could have had an impact as well.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
on the cougar did you get the coated headers and are you running a stick or auto:-?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I personally think people go too big on their headers sometimes. I'm running mid 12's with a set of old 1 1/2 tube tri-y's. I am considering an upgrade though.

I have been told by various sources that if you get a set of 302 headers they will be too short for the taller deck of a 351 and will hit down around where the collectors come out.

Why don't you try the 1 5/8 tri-y's Hedman just came out with(3 inch collectors). You could come back and report to the forum on how well they do.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I got the non-coated, and I converted to a T5 from a C4 at the same time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have to agree with "nastystang". Until you have looked at a set of JBA's long tubes, you think the Hookers are a good piece. No comparison. The welding, the flange thickness, the material, everything is "A number 1 " quality. I have a set of their 1 3/4 primary, 3 inch collector Stainless Steel long tubes on my 65. I had them Jet Hot coated by a local guy who sees thousands of them, and even he said, quote " now THIS is a set of headers".

Ron

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does JBA's headers have a web site to look at
do them make them for older cars as 66 comet and 64 falcon If I may ask what did you pay for them:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ron1, why in the world would you coat or have to coat stainless steel?? Is not that the purpose of mega buck stainless?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
RPM, I understand that coating the headers moves the exhaust gases out of the header more effectively increasing HP a smidge, and also keeping the temp under the hood lower by keeping the hot gases inside the header.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I run an 13/4 hooker super comp on my 331 and they fit better than a set of cheap 15/8 set of hedders!!These were of course long tubes!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had them coated for heat reduction, corrosion resistance, appearance, and improved flow. Also stainless when welded, still leaves the weld marks. After trial fitting the headers and exhaust system in the car, all parts were tack welded, removed from the car, welded and I then had the entire system Jet Hot Coated. It really has helped keep temperatures down. It was done by Brooks Coatings just south of Portland. JBA has a site at www.jbaracing.com ...while youre there check out the artuicle on his 321 CI, 921 HP, single Novi motor. I can't really quote price because this was a custom piece.

Ron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ron1 on 12/27/01 11:34am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts