Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the manifolds sent to machine shop because they were warped onmy 68 galaxie 500 with 390. Put them on but driver side I still believe not straight cause I got a bad tick right at the gasket area at manifold. So is header system better and what all do I have to change.

I already installed new flow masters can they be reused if I get correct exhaust system to go with the new headers? Which brings me to ask any suggestions on header plus exhaust system? I asked summit but they said they have headers but no exhaust system to go with it

·
Registered
235 Posts
Any decent muffler shop will be able to build you an exhaust system for the headers you choose. And they should be able to reuse your existing mufflers.

Crites and Mad Dog make mufflers that fit the '68. Crites may take some massaging to fit. Don't know about Mad Dog.

·
Registered
160 Posts
what you posted will come down to opinions...you will hear two main ones....1. headers add more power....(to an extent) 2. If you dont like exhaust noises, headers IS NOT the way to go.... Many people and I myself have used headers and at times they can end up leaking, bolts find a way to loosen up and you get that clicking noise, a good set of manifolds will always have the better sound as most do not leak unless they crack. But, you give up a little horsepower to their restrictive use, it all depends on what you want to do with the car...As for an exhaust system, go to a competent exhaust shop and tell them what you want, i found one that put 2.5 in stainless under my car with 2 18in glasspacks made by walker, did the whole job for 180.....make sure though the shop is good, some have idiots and they think they know what they are doing and restrict the exhaust around the rearend by putting incorrect bends and sloppy workmanship in that area, but it can be done!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Unless you have a car that's pumping some serious power, headers are a waste. Maintenance is the issue to me. I've had many cars over the years with and without headers. If you want a pretty much trouble free exhaust, use factory exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Take a look at your manifolds and the way each port flows out, you will understand just how counterproductive they are, it's rediculous. It's extremely restrictive. If he was worried about noise, he wouldn't be asking about headers now would he?

A good set of headers and a mandrel bent exhaust is a big upgrade to stock puny systems.

I've put headers on mine over the winter, have yet to touch them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts