Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just wondering if i should put headers into my 63 Fairlane. its got a 289 and the shock towers are still there so it doesnt look like i can fit anything other than the stock manifold...below are a couple of links to some headers i have found.....if you all dont mind, check them out and tell me what you think. Do headers make that much of a difference in performance and sound?

Headers Small block Ford - $100 (concord / pleasant hill / martinez)

s/b ford headers sanderson - $165 (willow glen / cambrian)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I;m not sure if either of those are gonna fit your Fairlane, you may know the only headers, long tube anyway, that fit the early F;lane are made by
Hooker- #6134- i ran these for a few yrs.
Ford Performance -don;t know the part #
Doug's headers - I hear his are a good fit, never tried em tho

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Some yrs. ago, A Car mag. started building a 64 F;lane 289 & adding the hooker long tubes showed an increase on the dyno of 90hp, with no other mods!
Yea, i know, was hooker the sponsor or what!
You can certainly feel the difference for sure, but 90hp, not sure about that
In the same article they mentioned they saw no measureable increase in power going from stock ex.manifolds to the Hi-po's, i find that hard to believe too.
If you go with the Hookers, do install good plugs cause its a bear to change them once the headers are installed

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Some yrs. ago, A Car mag. started building a 64 F;lane 289 & adding the hooker long tubes showed an increase on the dyno of 90hp, with no other mods!
Yea, i know, was hooker the sponsor or what!
You can certainly feel the difference for sure, but 90hp, not sure about that
In the same article they mentioned they saw no measureable increase in power going from stock ex.manifolds to the Hi-po's, i find that hard to believe too.
If you go with the Hookers, do install good plugs cause its a bear to change them once the headers are installed
Roger you are only telling half the story..That engine was highly modified with aftermarket heads etc..Running the stock exhaust manifolds was a MAJOR cork..Once they switched to headers they got a huge power increase as the engine could finally breathe and run to it's full potential..Just adding headers to a stock engine will give you no where near 90hp...

Having said that I am a big fan of long tube headers and dual exhaust on a ford..It will give you an increase in power and probably gas mileage as well....Any other mods you do afterwards (intake,carb,camshaft) will work that much better with the headers already in place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ROGER, i found the hookers ur talking about. the #6134.....and now i see that metallic headers are freakin waaaaay more expensive than the black hi-temp painted ones lol.....anyways, so those will fit into my engine compartment without having to modify anything? to me, the shock towers look to be in the way, am i wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
They fit on my 64 Fairlane with no other modifications.

Good spark plugs and a good set of wires with I think 90deg boots and wire looms to keep boots and wires from the pipes.

You could notch your shock towers and it would open your options up to other possibly cheaper headers and even coated headers.
Hooker is very proud of the 6134's.

Jet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts