Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put a set of long tube headers on a 63 fairlane? Will they fit? I've got a 289 in it but everything else is stock. The shock tower on the driver side looks very close and I'm wondering if they will fit. Any comments? Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hooker long tube # 6134's are made to fit the early Fairlane -62-65.
Depending on how much your towers have drooped, they can be a challenge to install, i.e- jacking up the motor off the mounts to fit the pass.side in, some say you must install dr. side from the top, others(like me) had to get the front end high in the air & install the dr. side from underneath. Plug changes are no fun at all. Depending on how much faith you have magazine tech.stories I;ve read anywhere from 30hp to over 90hp improvement in power From personal experience, you can certainly feel a power increase, but 90hp, I don't think so.
I ran the 6134;s for years until we notched the shock towers, which opens up a whole new world of long tubes to choose from, in my case, a set of Hedman long tubes, #88300;s that were a 1/2 hour install & make plug changes a fun job.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I've heard also. I found a set of hookers on the summit website for only $170. They're steel not ceramic. Says they will fit a 66 fairlane. I love that price compared to the $400 ones that ur talking about. Thanks for the info roger

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
The ones that that you found for $160 if not specifically for your car are not going to fit without modifications to the shock towers and the headers themselves.

Jet

·
Registered
104 Posts
Headers for a Mustang, Comet, Maverick or 66 and up Fairlane usually won't fit but some types might. I wouldn't buy them on the chance they will. Get the ones meant for the 62-65 Fairlanes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am a believer in Tri-Y headers. They take up less room than full length 4 tube and make more power than shortie units.
Let me go back a few years when I was single and roaming the streets of LA.
My first exposure to Tri-Y headers was on my room mates 57 Vett. His HS classmate in Upland was Gary Hooker. Gary had made some headers for his 409. So they decided to make some for the Corvette. For some reason they made Tri-Y's.
I personally witnessed that 283 dual quad vett turn 12.80's so I know they make good HP!
My son just ordered a pair of Dougs Tri-Y for his 64 Falcon w/5.0, aod. I plan on installing FPA Tri-Y's on my 67 Ranchero w/5.0 & aod.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just made 330hp at the wheels last weekend on the dyno with my new Doug's tri Y's. had to jack and pull engine sideways to install them, but once on they fit great and changing plugs is a snap. 347 with AFR 185 heads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I check the applications for those Doug's tri y's it says they wont fit a 63 fairlane if it has a column shift automatic. Am I reading that correctly??? Also says won't fit if the car has power steering. What am I missing guys???

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Call Dougs and ask them. The shifter is easy to fix. Floor shifter with a cable.

Power steering may be interferance with the power steering ram.

·
Registered
5 Posts
last fall I seen a set of the 6134 hookers on ebay cheap from holley performance. I was going to bid on them but forgot about it. a few weeks ago I was on ebay killing time and ran across another set from holley performance. they claimed they were scratch and dent. I think I paid $225 for them. they weren't scratched or dented. the only thing I could find wrong was a few welds needed to be cleaned up. don't know if they have anymore like that but you might check.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts