Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've noticed this in several different posts on the forums, but I just wanted to maybe post another to get a consolidated consensus (if that's even possible with anything car related lol) on headers for a 1965 Galaxie w/ 352. I've seen posts that say you have to go with Sanders or FPA, and I've also found multiple posts on here of people who used cheap-o eBay headers and it worked just fine. I guess my question is, is there a consensus on which way works. Is it that they both work, one just lasts longer? Or is there just a handful of lucky people who got ebay headers to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sort of trying to ball on a budget over here so if I can squeak by with cheap-o 150 dollar headers instead of 600 dollar header's I'd like to.

Thank you,

dustbuck

·
Registered
292 Posts
These say they fit and offer free returns:

I used similar or identical ones on my 1964 w/390, PS and manual, but 64 is different than 65-67 frame/body wise.

Pat

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These say they fit and offer free returns:

I used similar or identical ones on my 1964 w/390, PS and manual, but 64 is different than 65-67 frame/body wise.

Pat
Thanks Pat.

Did you have to change the starter to a mini? I noticed a lot of people said it's required, but plenty who said it wasn't either. Just curious (I'd rather not spend the 200 bucks if I don't have to).

Thank you,

·
Registered
292 Posts
No, it's still the long old style. That part should be the same for you, since the relationship between the starter, block, heads and headers are the same regardless of the body style.

Pat

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link but i decided to go with the ebay ones. Honestly it's a money issue. I'm going to paint these with high heat coating and put them on. If i was going to spend 500 i'd go with the Sanderson's most likely, but this is a side learning project that I'm treading water on with the wife anyway lol. Channeling my inner Kenny Rogers

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Dam!! $98 for headers. I want some! Post up your adventure so we can see and good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If they’re the stainless eBay ones, why would you paint them? I’ve had them on my 64 for 3 years with no rust in sight! I love stainless! Just get some good gaskets first time around and save yourself from having to redo them in 6 months...

BC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on the headers? I'm interested in doing the same, I don't want to have to buy the Sandersons if I don't have to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any updates on the headers? I'm interested in doing the same, I don't want to have to buy the Sandersons if I don't have to.
Yeah so here's an update. Ebay headers did not fit. They wouldn't get by either the driver side or passenger side (even with Mini starter). I even took it to a shop that's highly rated and I trust. They let me watch them try and still couldn't get it. They even jacked the motor up to try and slide them past, but it wouldn't. So I ordered the Sandersons. They're up at the shop right now. Should have the car Monday. I got the ceramic coated ones. Ebay did allow a return so i returned them. My 65 has no A/C but w/ Power steering. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
Thanks for the update Dustbuck. And for crushing my hopes of getting $99 headers.:cry:

·
Registered
141 Posts
At least Fleabay let you return them. Even when the big name ones say they fit, they almost do. One problem I've seen with every set of headers I've done, on Fords, Mercs and Dodges is the bolt holes to the heads. About 20 sets I've done. I've learned to match the gasket to the head to check for bolt hole alignment and then use the gasket to check the header hole alignment. Unless you have the heads/engine already out of the car. That and take a grinder to all the internal welded areas and clean them up. But this was all done before I sent them to Jet Hot to be coated.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the update Dustbuck. And for crushing my hopes of getting $99 headers.:cry:
Yeah it was disappointing to me too lol. Not only did i have to end up paying more $$, I had to wait again for them to ship here and get them to the shop. They're saying they're going to get to it tomorrow :/

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just had a look at these - $90 ebay headers and both sides appear to be driver's side?
There doesn't appear to be a header for the passenger side - were yours exactly like these?

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
LOL. I wonder if there's a $99 pair both of them on the passenger side,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just had a look at these - $90 ebay headers and both sides appear to be driver's side?
There doesn't appear to be a header for the passenger side - were yours exactly like these?
That's hilarious, but no they didn't come like that. They had a right and a left, it just didnt clear the starter (or mini starter) or the driver side.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting. Did you get the mini starter that has rotation options? I had to use one of those on a 68 with a 428, but my 64 has a stock starter. Both cars have the stainless eBay headers.

BC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts