Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 Merc Monterey. Can anyone tell me if the fuse box is supposed to separate from the headlight switch? If so, how is this done? Also, do the wire prongs pull out of the fuse box or just the wires themselves? Thanks from a newbie!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There are two clips that hold the fuse box to the headlight switch then it unplugs from the headlight switch. The whole fuse box unplugs.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
View attachment 24695 Success. Now, is there any practical way to get this thing working better or do I buy a new one? Only one sweet spot when the dash lights will come on.
Cant tell from pic, but check the coil thats mounted to the round ceramic disk. If its all in one piece and not melted anywhere, you may be able to clean the contact that 'rubs' against it, and tweek it (ever so gently, and not get carried away just bending it out) for better contact.

you can clean the contact point of the tab with light brushes of a fine piece of sandpaper, or wifes emery board.(for nails) The coils are a little tougher to clean but very light buffs with emery board there also...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
don't use emery. it is an insulator. silicon carbide or carborundrum

Hmmm didnt know that, but that being said dunno if the nail boards I was talking about is actual emery or not.... was just thinking of something that might have laying areound to "scuff" with without damaging.... sounds like he needs to just scuff the contact areas and make sure the contact is actually "swiping" on the coils....

Good info to know tho...

Heck even a match book might work.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well. Maybe I didn't shave off enough off the coil. Still working roughly the same. Also, dome light can be jarred loose at times and I have to squeeze around on headlight switch to get it back on. That was happening before as well. I wonder if I should've tried cleaning up the fuse block while I had it separated? Not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There is an aerosol electrical contact cleaner available for automotive. CRC or PERMATEX maybe?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Kult you are correct CRC makes it. (have some) Dunno bout Permatex...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thanx...

If that does't work, new or it may be that someone specializes in restoring them (HEMMINGS).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts