Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sort out what headlight bulbs to put in our 69. I have seen all kinds of 5.75" bulb availible but am still unsure of what to get. they have the style that takes seperate Halogen bulbs, different wattages, blue crystal glass, halo, smoked, 3 bar style. I am looking for somthing with a good light output upgrade that will hopfully run off the stock alternator.

Anyone with experience on any of these lights?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I'm ordering the set of four new style "separate bulb" with ultra white bulbs. But I'm running a newer generation alternator and will run them off relays. They are listed on eBay for less than $90 for the set and they look like extra clear stock bulbs.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a headlight mod on my 67 a while back. Used some really good housings (Rampage 5081126 housings I found on a website called www.realtruck.com for $34 each) and HID bulbs/ballasts. They don't need relays because they're 35-watt HID systems (which draw less power than the stock bulbs), and they came with inline fuses. I posted some good pictures. Check out this thread:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/491235-68-galaxie-headlight-conversion-anyone.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks, this is the exact ktype of information I am looking for. So you bassically put true HID bulbs/ballasts in aftermarket H4 housings? Did you do all four lights or just two? I think I want to upgrade all 4.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes, they're true HID ballasts and bulbs. A 35-Watt kit with H4 size bulbs can be had from eBay for under $40 these days, and a 55-Watt kit isn't much more. The housings I mentioned in that other thread are still available from Truck Accessories @ RealTruck.Com - Free Shipping & Big Smiles for $38 each with free shipping (so that's just under $160 for all 4 housings). I only upgraded the low-beams, but to do the highs as well is not much more. Some notes and recommendations: if you use a 35-Watt kit, you don't really need a relay setup because they draw less current than the stock 45-Watt incandescent bulbs, but some people like to use relays anyway. A 55-Watt HID kit will draw roughly the same current as the incandescents and they'll be brighter than a 35W, but they spike at start-up, which may wear down your headlight switch after a while, so I would recommend using relays. I'm pretty sure Puttster can help you with finding a very inexpensive relay wiring kit. Some of them come pre-assembled and are good quality for not much money. For the high beams, I suggest a 100-Watt H4 size halogen bulb (maybe $5 or $10). I'm not sure if you'll need a relay for the high beams or not because I haven't changed mine yet (the previous owner put 65W sealed beam halogens in and they work fine for now). All together, the whole thing should cost less than $300, and it's really easy to do yourself, even with little or no experience.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Hey jarhead, where have you been for the past year?
Tom

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they're true HID ballasts and bulbs. A 35-Watt kit with H4 size bulbs can be had from eBay for under $40 these days, and a 55-Watt kit isn't much more. The housings I mentioned in that other thread are still available from Truck Accessories @ RealTruck.Com - Free Shipping & Big Smiles for $38 each with free shipping (so that's just under $160 for all 4 housings). I only upgraded the low-beams, but to do the highs as well is not much more. Some notes and recommendations: if you use a 35-Watt kit, you don't really need a relay setup because they draw less current than the stock 45-Watt incandescent bulbs, but some people like to use relays anyway. A 55-Watt HID kit will draw roughly the same current as the incandescents and they'll be brighter than a 35W, but they spike at start-up, which may wear down your headlight switch after a while, so I would recommend using relays. I'm pretty sure Puttster can help you with finding a very inexpensive relay wiring kit. Some of them come pre-assembled and are good quality for not much money. For the high beams, I suggest a 100-Watt H4 size halogen bulb (maybe $5 or $10). I'm not sure if you'll need a relay for the high beams or not because I haven't changed mine yet (the previous owner put 65W sealed beam halogens in and they work fine for now). All together, the whole thing should cost less than $300, and it's really easy to do yourself, even with little or no experience.

Thanks! I am going to order the housings today Summit has them for $29.95 each
Rampage 5081126 - Rampage Replacement Conversion Headlamps - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I can get a set of 4 shipped to my door for $131.75

now to find the HID's, so you are recomending I do HID's in the lows and Halogen in the highs? Would HIDs in the highs be better?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey jarhead, where have you been for the past year?
Tom

I separated from the Marines and got a job in Charleston, SC. My Galaxie, unfortunately, is still in NC, and STILL in the hands of the guy who was supposed to rebuild my engine and transmission. That was supposed to be a six-week job. So far it's taken 15 months. He won't answer my calls or call me back, I can't afford to go get the car, and I don't really have anyone there who can go to his shop and see if it's even still there. It's just a crap situation all around, and I'm extremely frustrated because I could've been spending the past year getting the body work at least started.

I know that's off topic, sorry.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks! I am going to order the housings today Summit has them for $29.95 each
Rampage 5081126 - Rampage Replacement Conversion Headlamps - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I can get a set of 4 shipped to my door for $131.75

now to find the HID's, so you are recomending I do HID's in the lows and Halogen in the highs? Would HIDs in the highs be better?

Thanks for the update on a better price for the rampage housings.

As I was saying in the other headlight thread, I'm probably just going to use another set of HIDs as high beams, but step up the wattage (lows=35W, highs=55W). You could get a halogen high beam bulb for it, but it would have to be H1 (contrary to my previous post. I forgot that H1 is a single element and H4 is a high-low dual element bulb which wouldn't work in a stand-alone high beam. Someone else on here put an H1 in the rampage housing and it was a PITA). HIDs in the highs wouldn't really be better, but in my opinion they're bright enough that you don't need higher-wattage halogens.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hmmm... I just looked at the description of the Rampage housings on Summit and it says it takes H3 or H4 bulbs... H3 is a single-element. Perhaps a couple 100W H3 bulbs would be cheaper if you're worried about keeping costs down.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Just one of the screwed up things about the H1s is the terminals don't match up with the stock plugs (pic). So you have to make electrical jumpers and also rig something to waterproof the gap because the lamp and plug don't match up... Hope the H3s don't create the same kind of problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just one of the screwed up things about the H1s is the terminals don't match up with the stock plugs (pic). So you have to make electrical jumpers and also rig something to waterproof the gap because the lamp and plug don't match up... Hope the H3s don't create the same kind of problem.

putts - instead of jumpers, you may want to think about making a new harness and using a relay for the circuit. You'll end up with brighter headlights and less wear and tear on your headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well now I am really confused, I tried to order four HID H4 conversions and they are asking me if I need single beam (low) or dual beam (Hi/Low)

Let me see if I can understand this cars headlights

The low beam bulb is a dual element?
the high beam is a single?
When I hit the brights switch the low turns on a bright element plus it lights the second high beam?

Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so here is my shopping list

Four Rampage housings
a pair of H4 HID's that are true high/low Hids in a 5000 color (they cost more)
a pair of H4 HID's that are single (low only) in a 8000 color (cheap)
a pair of H4 harness plugs to replace the high beam plugs on the car harness (unless H3's would plug in the harness)

any thoughts on this before I order?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Unless something changed between 67 and 69, the lows are single element, and the highs are single element... So don't waste the money on the low/high combo HID kit.

4 Rampage housings
A pair of H4 HIDs (single element) for the low-beams (I wouldn't go with 8000K color temp unless you want really blue lights. 6000K is about the best)
2 H3 100W bulbs for the highs
OR
another set of H4 HIDs (single element) for the highs.

I would go with the H3s first. Granted, I don't know if the H3s would plug into the car's stock high-beam harness because I don't have my car right now, so you might have to experiment a bit. Luckily, H3 bulbs can be found at AutoZone for about $10 a pair, so it's a cheap experiment.

If you don't like the H3s or they don't fit the harness and you want to buy the single-element HID kit for the highs instead, you'll know exactly what will fit into the housings and what will work with the stock harness.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unless something changed between 67 and 69, the lows are single element, and the highs are single element... So don't waste the money on the low/high combo HID kit.

4 Rampage housings
A pair of H4 HIDs (single element) for the low-beams (I wouldn't go with 8000K color temp unless you want really blue lights. 6000K is about the best)
2 H3 100W bulbs for the highs
OR
another set of H4 HIDs (single element) for the highs.

I would go with the H3s first. Granted, I don't know if the H3s would plug into the car's stock high-beam harness because I don't have my car right now, so you might have to experiment a bit. Luckily, H3 bulbs can be found at AutoZone for about $10 a pair, so it's a cheap experiment.

If you don't like the H3s or they don't fit the harness and you want to buy the single-element HID kit for the highs instead, you'll know exactly what will fit into the housings and what will work with the stock harness.

Sounds like a good plan, I just went and checked the factory lights, I think you are right, the lows dont seem to gat any brighter on high so they are probally single element.

When the Rampage housing arrive I will take them down to the parts store and see if H3's fit the hole. I am still kinda thinking HID's if nothing else for the lower current draw, I would like to avoid relays if possible.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, I just went and checked the factory lights, I think you are right, the lows dont seem to gat any brighter on high so they are probally single element.

When the Rampage housing arrive I will take them down to the parts store and see if H3's fit the hole. I am still kinda thinking HID's if nothing else for the lower current draw, I would like to avoid relays if possible.

Good idea. Let us know your findings, and post pics if you can!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

To each their own........I'm using Harley Davidson headlights in my 66

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the late update, been really busy.

Summit was fast on the 4 new rampage housings, took 4 days and they were here. Went to the auto parts store in search of a 2 spade bulb for the high beams, didnt have a lot of luck. I ended up ordering 4 H4 HID's and plan to pull a couple plugs off one of our spare parts cars.

With any luckwe will work on this this weekend, keep you posted.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry for the late posting but your 4 head lamp system uses 2 hi/low and 2 high beam all 4 lights go to high beam when the high beams are on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts