Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I can’t find a thread that addresses the question I have…

Has anyone upgraded their lights and wired it so all 4 are on at a time? Low beams across the board and then the brights? I am going to be using the new Holley Retrobright LED headlights in my car and am considering wiring them in unison, if it’s possible, which it might not be.

Eric
Hello jayhawkjesse,

I installed the option of turning on all 4 low beam headlamps in some of our old cars, including the '68 XL with 4 headlamp systems. FMVSS 108 does allow it (federal motor vehicle standards) however you must not exceed a certain maximum beam intensity at certain angles specified in the document. The problem with some aftermarket headlamps that provided 4 hi/low composite lamps is the tabs that align the lamp housing to the bucket. You'll either need 4 high-low buckets or somehow override the tabs to make the headlamps straight across and not sitting in the bucket on an angle in the high beam buckets.

I plan on adding this to the 1966 gal 500 XL and LTD as well. You'll need high-low beam connectors as well to replace the high beam only connectors.

I didn't add LED headlamps instead I went with 100 low beam and 140 watt high beam H4 composite bulb assemblies. So I have 200 or 400 watt selectable low beams and 560 watt high beams. I will say it's very bright on even 200 watt low beams and ludicrously bright on 560 watt high beams.

Hope that helps some.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
On 4 headlamp systems from Ford in the 60's and 70's the factory wiring has low beams on 1 pair and high beams on all 4 lamps.

The low beam lamps/bulbs are dual function low and high in each lamp/bulb.

The high beam lamps/bulbs are high only.
They are the lower bulbs of stacked arrangement,
and inboard bulbs of horizontal arrangement.

The Holley retrofit LED bulbs are capable of having all 4 on low beam and all 4 on high beam.
Holley shows this in their video for these lights.
They have a adapter harness to easily convert your factory wiring for this "all 4 setup".
No cutting or splicing of wires needed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Same with my 65...all 4 are on with the high beams selected. I put all new halogen bulbs in, a HIGH quality relay system (one for highs, one for lows) and a new headlight switch.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Oracle quote - "Oracle sealed beam conversion Halo lights include a preinstalled Oracle SMD Halo, a quality glass lens sealed beam, a composite reflector housing, and they accept H4 bulbs (sold separately)"
I have to say, I'm a bit concerned a headlight company calls H4 sealed-beam conversion lens housings "sealed-beams". They're not. Sealed-beam bulbs are sealed in the beam-focusing housing, and the entire headlamp must be replaced when they burn-out or break, e.g., 6024, 5006, 5001, etc. Those are sealed-beams. H4 is just the lamp. That said, if the beams don't suck, drive happy.
is there a certain wattage of output the wiring/switch starts to have problems at?
Depends on the "problem". As previously outlined, the factory wiring is minimum gauge, so light output suffers noticeably even with standard-watt bulbs. Across several cars for average, the voltage increase results in 15 to 20% light output increase with stock headlamps. The difference is not so great with LEDs. For flickering (switch circuit breaker resetting), any wattage above stock is iffy, and even original-everything are older and weaker, and why you see relay conversions for both reasons, and the light switch should last forever. ;)

Ratings: Stock 7" round (6024) are rated 35W low and 60W high, for 95W per-side on high (both filaments on). 5006 are 5¾" dual-filament 35W low & 50W wide-beam high, and used with 5001 (4-light system) narrow high-only at 50W. So, a "standard" 4-light system will run total 70W low, and 200W (2x50W per side) high. Modified selector switch or wiring, they can run 70 + 200 = 270W, gaining only some short fill-in.

I've run with 4x hi/lo headlights (refit buckets), but had oncoming cars repeatedly flashing at me, thinking I had 4 lights on so it must be high-beam. "HEY!! YOUR HIGH BEAMS ARE ON!!!" No, they're not, thanks. I know they were adjusted well, but I reverted to 2x low-beams as I didn't like the oncoming cars blinding me frequently. And, yes, I've tried 150W tungsten landing lights, which were AWESOME (and slow to light like the sun coming-up), but couldn't use them as oncoming drivers were flashing me violently a mile out (literally) so I was stuck on lows, and I'd rather not be responsible for a wreck.

I modified the selector switch to provide high and low simultaneously with standard 4-beams setups. I liked it, with all 6 filaments on with dual 5¾" 5006/5001 lights (not just 4 highs). Especially E-code lights.(y) I really like the close side-fill the low beams add, although wide-flat fog (not driving) lights do well for that also. That's me. Do what makes you giggle.

·
Registered
1964 Galaxie Convertible 500 R code 4-speed
7 Posts
On 4 headlamp systems from Ford in the 60's and 70's the factory wiring has low beams on 1 pair and high beams on all 4 lamps.

The low beam lamps/bulbs are dual function low and high in each lamp/bulb.

The high beam lamps/bulbs are high only.
They are the lower bulbs of stacked arrangement,
and inboard bulbs of horizontal arrangement.

The Holley retrofit LED bulbs are capable of having all 4 on low beam and all 4 on high beam.
Holley shows this in their video for these lights.
They have a adapter harness to easily convert your factory wiring for this "all 4 setup".
No cutting or splicing of wires needed.
I went with the Holley Retrobrights on my ‘64 and love ‘em . This past summer I’d driven with the halogens over the original incandescent headlights . The pencil beam like effect in low beam didn’t work for me, so for awhile I drove around with the high beams on 😎 . I found the Holley’s thru a Hagerty ad . While expensive , they were what I was looking for . Easy install for the shallow lamp buckets of the early Fords . The only change that I made was with the included adapter harness for the driver’s side high beam connection to get the polarity right .…… “ just my humble opinion “ 😎

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put a pair of Retrobrights in the low beam spots on my Volvo 240, they are awesome. I don't really see much need for all 4 especially for the price, doubly especially because I'm not sure the Retrobrights will keep the snow melted off, so probably best to keep the high beam halogens. Hasn't really snowed yet so we'll see though.

I believe the Retrobrights (at least the low beam 4x6) are 25/30 watts. Lil bit less than stock beams so factory wiring does just fine in my case. (no low beam relay until 1986ish on the 240s)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts