Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed a headliner on a 68 Fairlane? I ordered one from Dearborn Classics yesterday, so it should be here in about 3 to 4 weeks. My question is this, do I have to take the front and back windsheilds out to install it, or can I put it in without removing the windows?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I haven't installed one yet....I have my 64 Fairlane all torn apart at this time. But, to install it right, the factory laps the material around the opening for the front and back windows. I have heard that you can do it the easy way, but you can't rally glue it or use the rubber around the windows to hold it firmly and sometimes comes loose.

Looking at how my old was installed at the factory, you need to take all the side window trim off and any around the door opening so you can get it tucked into the clips and behind the trim.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the best thing to do would be take it somewhere to get it done correctly, right?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I doubt that a trim shop will pull the front and rear windows to put in the headliner. They will probably pull the other trim on the sides. The front and rear glass can be broken very easily when trying to save the rubber seals. The best method is to cut the seals to remove the glass and then use new seals to re-install the glass after the headliner is installed. Call the trim shops and ask them how they install them.

One of those tuff calls. Get it done or get it done right?

·
Registered
398 Posts
My brother and I put a headliner in my '71 Torino fastback. I pulled the backglass and the car was gutted at the time. It was a piece of cake. Just buy a good headliner, take your time installing and use good glue and strong clamps. Oh, and about a dozen exacto blades!

Good luck,

Greg

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It can be done without takin the window out, but it might not last as long as if the windows were out. Use a credit card (or something like), and tuck it in the window rubber, just cut access off first then tuck. Start from the back in work forward. There are books out there that help explain how to do it, one good book is "Mustang Restoration Handbook", by Don Taylor and Tom Wilson (HP Books) page 145. I highly recommend this book, even if you dont have a Mustang, most stuff in here transfer's over to most Fords.

68 Fairlane/70 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 5/1/02 6:24am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts