Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manager of the shop took one look at my keepers and said we better get new one so we are getting new. Apparently the old keepers took a bit of hammering. Not sure why unless the springs were in fact starting to bounce on me.

After I got my 7/16 rocker studs it then occurred to me that I am also going to need 7/16 poly locks, LOL. Eh, oh well.

Had a great conversation with the actual dude that is doing my valve job and head assembly. He was looking at the angle cut work and asked several questions about that and the heads, what I'm running them on, looked over my port work. "The proof will be in the pudding" is what I got, LOL. It is good that the person doing the work would be that interested in what it is about.

I use 2 machine shops and have for several years. One does a few things that the other doesn't do. My heads/block, etc shop did not want to torque the gland nut on my air cooled German engine, LOL. My other shop only had 1 person that knew how to set the thrust washers and torque that huge moly nut for the flywheel. It was the owner himself.

I just checked and the shop said they had found no surprises at all so it is going well.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ordered my second head gasket and a new set of 7/16 poly locks. I already have new intake and exhaust gaskets. The only thing left to buy is the rocker arms.

uh: and pay for the head work. don't know yet how much that is.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got my heads back. I need to soap and wash them so I can tape them off and put some fresh paint on. They look good. My F150 is making its presence known again. I have the brake issue which I think is about resolved and now its leaking water around the timing cover. Good dang, shoot, frack does it ever end?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your support and encouragement, LOL.

I have new rear brake cylinders for the truck. My water leak is increasing so I am carrying distilled water with me if I go anywhere just in case.

I think I will go ahead and replace the old timing cover because it has corroded around the water ports and also get a new water pump to replace the old cast iron one. I have no idea how old that thing is. It is probably on its last leg too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts