Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am building a engine (289 or 302) to road race motor (7800RPM redline) and i was wondering what would be the best heads. i plan AFR 205cc heads, the afr heads look pretty awsome, i am leaning that way i think. help me out here. thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Canfield heads would do much the same, and are by 'most' accounts superior. If you're interested I know where you can get a set setup for how YOU intend to use them, full competition valvetrain, etc etc for a damn good price. New, not used btw. This place is also fully capable of setting up your cam, no matter the style (SR, SFT, HR, etc), and helping you dial in the rest of your motor.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you a web address.

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Oh and one other thing...if you're limited to cast iron heads, depending on the class you're running, the N351 heads from Ford are some INCREDIBLE pieces...10* valve angles are just wild for power production, regardless of actual 'flow' numbers.

Cris

·
Registered
331 Posts
Canfield heads here too.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The AFR 185 are ideal for the cfm of your engine at 7800. Run some good long tube headers with them and a 780 cfm Holley vacuum secondaries.
Paul

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, AFR 185, but the 205 will hurt much power? (I plan at long time one stroker and the 205 to this is better)
In one article (Guide to 289 HiPo) the auctor talk about one Victor jr head in 289, this heads have the same capacitie than AFR 205?.
Any problem in go to one AFR 205 im my 289/302?
I need save $$$ and the 205 whil serv at 289/302 and at long time to 331.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The AFR 185 and Canfield 195 have almost the exact same sized cross section according to everything I've read. One should not be considered "bigger" than the other. I would personally buy the Canfield from the guy who Is1BadFord is talking about since it will be cheaper and set up with what you need and is better quality stuff (valves, springs, etc) than the AFR out of the box.

I asked almost this exact same question on the now deceased hardcore50.com. 302, carb, 7,800 rpm, and max effort. Think I might have even said only 10.5:1 comp. The reply was that for most people a 185 AFR type head will be fine. But, the 205-225 (225 depending on vehicle weight, tranny type, gearing, etc.) would definitely perform the best when done right. The key being DONE RIGHT.

It was explained that the valve timing is critical and must be spot on or it will be a dog. Most people just shop for a catalog cam that advertises the power band that they want and has specs they like. For those people this will not work. Reason? Have you ever looked through the comp catalog and seen a cam designed for an AFR 205 headed, 10.5:1 comp, Vic Jr intake, Pro Systems 750 Holley, 1 3/4" long tube header, 7,800 rpm, 2,948 lbs race weight, x.xx rear gear, x.xx tranny gears, etc, etc, etc? No and you never will for obvious reasons. Custom motors need custom cams. Especially necessary the more radical you get. By custom I mean a cam with lobes and all specs designed specifically to your combo. Not merely some different arrangement of catalog lobes.

Stick with the AFR 165-185 if you don't have a ton of experience with this type of motor and or don't want to get with the people who can get you what you need to really make this thing work. Again, the guy who Is1BadFord aka Cris is talking about would be an excellent place to start. There is a thread on sbftech.com in the beginning of the 302 section with a title like "I have a 306 and want a set of AFR 210's". There is some real good explanation there.

Also, I'd make dang sure I got a billet cam for 7,800 rpm and road racing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 1/28/07 1:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
On 2007-01-27 10:16, 289nate wrote:
The AFR 185 and Canfield 195 have almost the exact same sized cross section according to everything I've read. One should not be considered "bigger" than the other. I would personally buy the Canfield from the guy who Is1BadFord is talking about since it will be cheaper and set up with what you need and is better quality stuff (valves, springs, etc) than the AFR out of the box.

I asked almost this exact same question on the now deceased hardcore50.com. 302, carb, 7,800 rpm, and max effort. Think I might have even said only 10.5:1 comp. The reply was that for most people a 185 AFR type head will be fine. But, the 205-225 (225 depending on vehicle weight, tranny type, gearing, etc.) would definitely perform the best when done right. The key being DONE RIGHT.

It was explained that the valve timing is critical and must be spot on or it will be a dog. Most people just shop for a catalog cam that advertises the power band that they want and has specs they like. For those people this will not work. Reason? Have you ever looked through the comp catalog and seen a cam designed for an AFR 205 headed, 10.5:1 comp, Vic Jr intake, Pro Systems 750 Holley, 1 3/4" long tube header, 7,800 rpm, 2,948 lbs race weight, x.xx rear gear, x.xx tranny gears, etc, etc, etc? No and you never will for obvious reasons. Custom motors need custom cams. Especially necessary the more radical you get. By custom I mean a cam with lobes and all specs designed specifically to your combo. Not merely some different arrangement of catalog lobes.

Stick with the AFR 165-185 if you don't have a ton of experience with this type of motor and or don't want to get with the people who can get you what you need to really make this thing work. Again, the guy who Is1BadFord aka Cris is talking about would be an excellent place to start. There is a thread on sbftech.com in the beginning of the 302 section with a title like "I have a 306 and want a set of AFR 210's". There is some real good explanation there.

Also, I'd make dang sure I got a billet cam for 7,800 rpm and road racing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 1/28/07 1:36am ]</font>
Awesome Nate...you've really been doing your homework man!! =). I've got an inside deal on this...with my current build...should be interesting when its done. I've decided not to talk about it too much, but if you want details bud, PM me and I'll give you a way to get in touch.

On 2007-01-27 06:29, hotmaverick302 wrote:
ok, AFR 185, but the 205 will hurt much power? (I plan at long time one stroker and the 205 to this is better)
In one article (Guide to 289 HiPo) the auctor talk about one Victor jr head in 289, this heads have the same capacitie than AFR 205?.
Any problem in go to one AFR 205 im my 289/302?
I need save $$$ and the 205 whil serv at 289/302 and at long time to 331.
This absolutely amazes me. Umpteen posts after mine saying the 195's were awesome, and one post for the AFR's. But once you heard confirmation on what you wanted to hear, you jumped on it. The mentality...well nevermind. Why did you even ask for advice if you already 'knew' what you wanted?

Look, I'll give you the straight up deal here. AFR's are good heads. So are RHS, Canfield, Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc. Any of the above heads will perfrorm at relatively the same level. I've seen (and built) 500hp Victor Jr based motors. I've also seen MANY MANY other 500hp+ motors built with ALL of the other heads listed. What does this tell you?

To answer your '205 heads too big for my 289/302' question. I am putting larger heads than that on a 306 as we speak. I expect idle to 8000rpm performance with the cam I'm using. I'll get 11" of vacuum for my power brakes, and should have absolutely no drivability problems whatsoever. I also expect stellar quarter mile times. If I cammed this motor differently, the power in the upper range (5000-8000rpm) could be magnified, while cutting back on the lower end of the spectrum. Therein lies your answer. Pick a cylinder head that has a cross section strong enough to support your chosen rpm's....THEN GET A CAM DESIGNED that will tailor the powerband and power level to your needs. That's all there is to it. You're stressing on the head selection, when in actuality that's almost the easiest decision to make. I let the $$ decide, and base my choice on the strongest head for the least money. I will tell you...AFR's are NOT in that category.

Good luck!

Cris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts