Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
My rig is sittin at my buddy's shop. With what I believe is a valve train knock. It sounds like it is coming from the pass. side top of the motor. Runs to good and starts to easy to be any thing in the bottom. Could be a bent rod? or valve sticking? or? not much on engine tech.. Anyway, am going to have the haeds off, Should I have them worked or get new ones? Was checkin summit and some of the prices couldn't have been far off from the price to have them worked. If I were to buy new heads what would be the best ones for a stock 302? This is not a compitition truck just a fun truck. 1990 Fullsized Bronco 302 w/ 38.5 ground hawgs. so it needs alittle power to turn them tires but nothing major.
Thanks

Any and all help will be appriciated!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
When you do a head upgrade you really need to upgrade the cam and induction to make it worth while. If the engine does what you want now it will most likely be better after a valve job.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
When you do a head upgrade you really need to upgrade the cam and induction to make it worth while. If the engine does what you want now it will most likely be better after a valve job.

I agree with arnoldtx, to do it right go with a "top end kit" (heads cam and valve train) that way everything is matched and you will get the most bang for the buck. If that is out of the ballpark score you some used or rebuilt GT-40 heads you can find them for about what it would cost for a good valve job...........good luck and hope this helps!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! Been doin so research and found that the 351/400m engines hare the same as cleavland 2v. I have a basketcase 351m in the garage..
I found some adapters that alow a 302 block, 351c 2v heads, and 302w intake..
AP-09 Intake Adapter Kit

so now I am thinkin of havin those redone....

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Thanks for the help! Been doin so research and found that the 351/400m engines hare the same as cleavland 2v. I have a basketcase 351m in the garage..
I found some adapters that alow a 302 block, 351c 2v heads, and 302w intake..
AP-09 Intake Adapter Kit

so now I am thinkin of havin those redone....
more to it than a set of adap. plates . search ---- Street Boss 302

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gt-40p would they work?
bolt on a 1990 5.0 fullsize bronco?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Like what was posted before, without a cam upgrade, I doubt you would notice much of an improvement w/ a GT40 head swap. But, if you can score a set of good GT40's for the rebuild price of the current heads, go for it. If you have the heads off already, it isn't a ton more work to pull the cam out, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, I just wanted to know if it would bolt on.. and believe me if it runs like it is suppose to it will be a big improvment. I just need to get it back in the woods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts