Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer the a/c would only blow cold air out of the vents with the selector on "MAX AC"....heater has worked fine until last Thursday ...now it blow cold air out! Now it seems I must now address this issue. I need some help from a good Ford Tech or a good wrench that has tackled this problem. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have the same exact issue on my 97 ranger. Very similar design in the heater box.
It could be the heater hose valve that sits in the engine compartment and shuts off the hot water to the heater core when you turn on the A/C. Mine stuck closed and it was cold with the heater on. Its cheap and easy.
Although Id bet my $65 to $75 on the heater door motor. Thats whats wrong with my heater-A/C. The Motor is a little geared box that sits on top of the heater box and controls the blend of cold and hot air.
Its a fairly cheap part as far as dealer parts go, But your going to have to drop the heater box assy to get to it

I havent changed it out because i just dont have the time.
all last summer when i needed the A/C it would blow hot air. unless it was on max. Then all of the sudden it was cold all the time , even with the heater on. Then I NEEDED the heater when it got cold and it took me cycling the ignition a few dozen times with the blower off and in dead silence ( so i could hear the geared motor work) took about a half hour and then finally i heard that dam thing move. Violia! HEAT!!!
So thats how i "knew" what the problem was. called the dealer and they quoted me $65 for the part.
Hope this helps!
good luck

it looks like this

'68 302 Iron port polished heads.
Mod Must II headers.
Edelb Rpm Airgap
Holley 570
Msd dist ,Crane HI6 igntion
Bla Bla Bla
The money pit, "So... when will it be done?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 2/19/06 11:42am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 2/19/06 12:42pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well i shouldve looked befor i leaped, apparantly the door motor can be removed without dropping the Box! wow whoed have thought?
Check this link here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.earthlink.net%2F%7Ekandc1%2Fford%2Fblenddoorfix.html
Here I go again. I just pulled the door motor and mine is functioning fine. Its the actual blend door "drive end " thats broke.
Ill have to try the fix that they specify in the link i gave you.

Hope we can both get back a working heater!
good luck

'68 302 Iron port polished heads.
Mod Must II headers.
Edelb Rpm Airgap
Holley 570
Msd dist ,Crane HI6 igntion
Bla Bla Bla
The money pit, "So... when will it be done?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 2/19/06 2:13pm ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.