Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a new member on here but for the past few weeks I have been lurking around gathering information. I recently picked up a 1965 galaxie 500 XL Convertible. I have so many questions but my big one right now is the heater box on the outside of the fire wall. I don't have one. My blower motor and the fan is sitting on the inner fenderwell and I can;t get it out. I beleive I will have to remove the fender or inner fender. I can find the heater box for a 62-64 and 66-68 but not for the 65. Was it that different? The car I beleive was a heat only car. There are no vents on the dash nor for a defrost. Where can I find a heater box for this thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
boy, I cant remember, but *think* it can be removed with everything in place, theres one bolt behind the upper a-arm holding the fenderwell IIRC, and with it removed i think the well can be pushed down enough for some clearance...I had the clip off ours, so had a lot of room, but think I had to go back in for something after the clip was back on...been too long ago.

watch ebay for parts cars, bet theres a couple guys in here with parts cars too, long as its non-ac, should all be the same.

heres a pic of what a non-ac box looks like:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ford4v429,
Thanks for the picture. That is the clearest one I have seen so far, and it looks to match exactly with what mine would look like it I had the box for the fire wall. I will take some pictures of it in the am so members can see what I am talking about. Now I just have to fint the box. lol. I wish it was a 64 or a 66 I see them all the time. I still have to remove my fender though. Some how the PO had cut the antenna wire in half. I only picked up on station. I have sliced it together so that works but the pass. side door also needs aligning and fron what I have read and seen the fender has to come off to get at all the hing bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I never looked, but assumed a non-AC 66 would be identical? they were pretty much the same car except for sheetmetal tweaks and rear spring mounts- or so I always thought :) love how easy the heater core is to swap on this car- it would literally take more time to drain/fill the coolant than the time to swap the core :)

I think you can get to all the door bolts- I know lining mine back up was fun, but we did it...think I had to ductape the fender/door edge to protect when loosening one bolt on each, the rest I think we got with ratcheting box end wrenches. be ready for fun though, theres a lot of movement...you can lift/lower/tilt up-down/and move in-out... i had a tough time with the fender flushing out in the center, before i realized the fenders flex easily...loosen the bottom fender bolts and pull or press on the midpoint of the door opening and hold while snugging the bottom bolts- the bottom slides up-down very slightly, but the 'arch' of the fender can be changed by +/- a quarter inch very easily. still a royal pain though- ours is a 4 door, i still need to pull the centers in 1/4" on one side- noticed when 'done' that looking down the crease front to rear the center bulges out a little...

have fun
Tim

·
Registered
390 Posts
You will need to pull the inter fender. The 65 has a heater boxs all it's on. On the inside the plenum boxs have your defrost tubes.I hope you have the inside boxs. They may have removed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I know the door is not going to be fun, sounds like a job for a cool day in the shade.

As for the heater, I am not sure if the inside box is still there or not. There is some duct work but nothing like I have seen in pictures of the other years. I am thinking I may have to go with an aftermarket set up. Although I much perfer using a factory system for most things. But I will keep looking I may come across what I need either on here or else where.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts