Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dennis, We own a fully refurbished 64 1/2 Mustang that we bought about 10 years ago. Yesterday we noticed that we were leaking anifreeze on the passenger side. Is the only reason for this a bad heater core-we never use the heat as it is a convertible and we only take it out in nice weather . My husband replaced the one on our 73 Grand Torino Sport and he had to drop the dash. Your instructions look like this is a much easier job to do.
Thanks,
JudyandBob
Could be either the hose or the heater core. Much easier to drop the heater core in the 641/2-66's than the 73' Torino. The heater cores are very inexpensive. I also suggest buying 8'-9' of 5/8" heater hose and replace them too since it is very easy once the heater box has been removed. Optionally, you could also order a seal kit to complete the job but it is not required if all you want is the leak to stop.

Further details were given via PM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dennis,

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly. Your instructions look like they are going to be easy to follow. One other questions - do I need to take out the glove box to do this?

JudyandBob

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have never removed the glove box and can assure you that everything can be done from underneath the dash. Removing the glove box insert "might" give a clearer view to the bolt that is located under the cowl but I don't think that it is worth it since this pic shows exactly where it is at.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the excellent writeup and pictures. Helped me a ton when I rebuilt my heater box. One last question regarding the big foam doughnut, how does that mount on the car? Is it just glued up on the underside of the cowl? Does it fit into the hole?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the excellent writeup and pictures. Helped me a ton when I rebuilt my heater box. One last question regarding the big foam doughnut, how does that mount on the car? Is it just glued up on the underside of the cowl? Does it fit into the hole?
Thank you guys.

The "doughnut" mounts around the outside of the raised flange of the heater box. Check out the tell-tale markings:

Ring Installed on box:

The ring will mate with the flat bottom of the cowl-it does not need to go into the hole. Also it does not need glued in either location as it will sit pretty on the heater box and then compress and remain there when it is bolted in place.

Good Luck!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts