Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really a Ford question but it still applies to all cars. Does coolant still flow throug the heater core regardless if the heat is on or not? My daughter boough a '97 Grand AM Gt the other day and the heater core went bad the very next day. She was mad the owner didn't tell her about it but I told her if it was already bad, it she would have noticed it on the 2 hour drive back home regardless if she had the heat on or not.

Am I correct in assuming that coolant flows through the core regardless if the heat is on or not?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
In all the cars I've ever driven or owned, there's a vacuum or electric valve on the coolant flow, turning flow off when the system is off.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
coolant flows all the time through the core . Blend doors are used for temp control

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I agree, they are made both ways (constant flow and valved). However, even the valved ones carry the cooling system pressure at all times. The valve just reduces the flow to reduce the heat.

While it may be a coincidence failure, 2 hours of good operation may be all they got out of a can of leak-stop. I would check the cooling system, and if there is evidence of leak-stop used, then I think she has grounds to ask for a partial refund (yeah, good luck with that). If not, then no. In any case, unless it came with a stated warranty, it's always as-is and she will just have to deal with it. Unless the heater hoses were capped for the drive back, and she could get them to agree to a refund - she's stuck with the situation.

Don't feel bad. My daughter on the other side of the country from me bought a $4000 '06 Nissan for commuting with a 30 day warranty. At 38 days, the primary computer fried along with some chassis wiring. Welcome to your car. $1000 please. Oh, and the engine stops running randomly - but we will deal with that later...
:frown:
David

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While it may be a coincidence failure, 2 hours of good operation may be all they got out of a can of leak-stop. I would check the cooling system, and if there is evidence of leak-stop used, then I think she has grounds to ask for a partial refund (yeah, good luck with that). If not, then no. In any case, unless it came with a stated warranty, it's always as-is and she will just have to deal with it. Unless the heater hoses were capped for the drive back, and she could get them to agree to a refund - she's stuck with the situation.

David
Now that you mentioned that, I recall seeing an empty can of stop-leak in the trunk after we got back home. It was back there with other junk that the last owner didn't feel like cleaning out, so I didn't think anything of it until now.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
SOME cars have a constant heater core flow. (1980's ford rangers for instance)

Some have various heater control valves the PREVENT coolant flow to the core. Like the Toyota land cruiser, or the Buick Century or Ford Festiva and Taurus and focus etc etc etc...........

As far as your daughters grand Am, EVEN in cars with the shut of valve, there is STILL coolant Present in the Core at all times. It's just not circulated through the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts