Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Three trips to parts store to find Heater core. Computers said it would fit, it didn't!! Got a 65 no AC. 240 Six Cyl. Took my core and measured it out, Looked thru all vehicles around my car and found one that looks like it's going to fit. Actually it's from a 64/no a/c. When I get the right part i'll post the part number!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I might gripe about stuff like this a lot but actually I like doing it!! Get a sense of fulfillment when the job is done well!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's the right attitude! If owning an old Ford was easy and cheap everybody would own one and everyone would have a nice one. It's a labor of love! I'm not saying I don't get torqued up here and there, but the end result is something I just don't want to go without.

My brother in law and I go to many of the local cruise ins and he has a habit of raggin' on some of the guys with less then nice cars. My response is always the same, that car made it here under it's own power and the owner must be lovin' it so leave it alone!

Just keep on pluggin' and have a good time!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get things to work. I've had some heater cores that were missing the foam seal around them. Start looking at the hardware store at different weatherstrips and even the foam pipe insulation. It's already split and comes in different sizes. Then if it needs trimmed, find an old electric knife that everyone used to have years ago. They are the best for cutting seat foam and other types without tearing and ripping.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
You tell him Semi! Like my own, it will never be a show car and it's banged up but i enjoy driving it and i enjoy gabbing with others at shows and cruises. There are always some that need to prove something and some that won't even drive one in public with one dent in the fender even if the rest of it is show condition. I like seeing the "ugly" ones. There are no 2 alike that way. Was at the Good Guys show last year taking a pic of some late 30s something or other. Faded and some missing paint, but a nice stripe of color down the side where the trim used to be and some guy says "you're taking a picture of THAT?!" I replied "Yep, i like these type! Because, if it was all fancied up it would just be another car that looks like the others except for the paint color and sometimes even the colors are the same almost." He just thought i was nuts. But someone has to love the misfits right? :)

They get down the road under their own power, their worthy. imo

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
That's the right attitude! If owning an old Ford was easy and cheap everybody would own one and everyone would have a nice one. It's a labor of love! I'm not saying I don't get torqued up here and there, but the end result is something I just don't want to go without.

My brother in law and I go to many of the local cruise ins and he has a habit of raggin' on some of the guys with less then nice cars. My response is always the same, that car made it here under it's own power and the owner must be lovin' it so leave it alone!

Just keep on pluggin' and have a good time!
I think of it this way: I restored this car to the best of my abilities with what budget and skills I had to work with. I know its not perfect or show quality, but its mine and nothing else matters! :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK update folks. Of course it was wrong (the heater core I ordered yesterday). I finally found someone who knew what was going on with computer and we did this: We filtered out all heater cores with the same size as mine (7 3/4 X 6 X 2) and selected 5/8 inch outlets (did not select FORD). About 20 selections came up. We went thru every picture and found the one I needed. It actually is listed for a 65-67 MERCURY (not ford). Perhaps we had some folks down on the line using left over mercury air boxes??? I don't know but the core at MAC's (above) is 2 1/2 in thick and mine is only 2in. Will get it Monday and hope it's going to fit. I'm just glad I learned my lesson and did NOT throw out the old part before making sure the new part would fit. (yes, I learned the hard way) Will keep all informed here of progress and thanks for the support!!!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I did that with the trans filter. I didn't know anything about trannys then and didn't even know about ford muscle. But after trying them all it seemed like it turned out to be one that the amount of bolt holes in the gasket was misprinted. Next time i needed on at a store in CA i told the napa guy bring the book and i'll show you as i had lost track of all my box ends when we moved. When i pointed out he said that can't be it. Told him ok, give me the one YOU think it is and i'll be back. Next day took it back to him told him Fords aren't chevs you have to use your head to work on them after he made a comment bout his inventory and told him if he would of gave me the one i wanted i wouldn't be there. Last thing i said to him was that he could get any part he wanted for chev in a junkyard but fords don't interchange nor as easy to work on you have to earn the right to own one. Never went back to that store again. It was a new store but the people acted like they didn't want you in there even and it wasn't long it was closed down. I started going to the one in the desert the other direction that were happy to see anyone come in. Dinky town in nowhere land. lol

I wouldn't of gotten so bent if he hadn't commented on Fords and the inventory as i have nothing against any old cars really but that just irked me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, the pic looks exactly like the one from Mac's above but it is 2 in thick not 2 1/2 in. The bigger size won't fit in the cutout in my airbox. Thanks for the link though!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK quick update to heater core problem. I finally got one that fits. It was a murray PN 399020 List: Heater Core - 1968 Ford Custom | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I only found it after I cross referenced the core size and inlet/outlet sizes using their computer. There was only 1 within 500 miles and it was in California (took 3 days to ship) Oddly enough when I cross reference this part the only 65 it fit was a Mercury Park Lane. It also fit all galaxies without air in 1968. I know I own a 65 so I guess it's just one of Ford's mysteries??

Anyway here are some pics: The old heater core

Here is where it came out: Only four screws and it popped right out

There is insulation on the ends that is molded and glued to the core. Be very careful taking this off as you will need to reuse it!! I used a putty knife to pop them off and glue them to the new core with RTV:

Make sure you put extra foam around the core to seal it against the air box wall or you will not heat well, the air will go around the heater core instead of thru it!!

Install is easy. You did replace the old heater hose didn't you??

It only too me about three weeks to track down the part and an hour to install the core (yes, I'm slow) and I cleaned everything off and repainted stuff along with new hardware/hoses. I now have a heater that should last another 50 years!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK quick update to heater core problem. I finally got one that fits. It was a murray PN 399020 List: Heater Core - 1968 Ford Custom | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Thanks for posting all of this! Mine went as well and I was having trouble finding the correct replacement for a realistic price. Ordered it, paid 1/2 of what I was finding it elsewhere and it is in and working great! Love this forum!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts