Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
When I installed the 408 in my mustang I decided I did not want to hook up the heater hoses for a couple of different reasons. The car is only summer driven so I don't need any heat and I was also afraid of blowing the heater core. I have heard this sometimes happens when turning the water pump at high rpms and building excess pressure. The engine has solid lifters so I would be removing the valve covers occasionally to adjust the valvetrain and it is nice to not have to deal with the hoses laying in the way. I also love the clean look in the engine bay without the clutter of the hoses.

I originally got a small rubber cap from a rad shop. It installed on the nipple from the water pump and it worked well. However, I have also heard these aren't the best quality rubber and should be replaced every couple of years or so.

My remanufactured water pump gave out on me so I ordered up a new aluminium pump from Summit.

I was thinking about trying to thread the nipple in the old cast iron water pump or installing some sort of plug in it to replace the rubber cap. After looking over my new milodon aluminium water pump I decided to give it a try. As it turned out, I was very lucky and a 1/2 inch tap fit almost perfectly into the nipple on the pump.

I turned the pump upside down to keep the shavings out of the pump and threaded the nipple. The aluminium threaded very easily.

I went to my local industrial fastener place and got a 1/2 inch fine thread bolt. It also has an allen key type head on it for a cleaner look and a hose could be installed over top of it in case it did start leaking some day.

The inside diameter of the nipple was ever so slightly bigger than the size of the tap drill recommended for the 1/2 inch tap so I added some thread sealant onto the threads of the bolt for a nice watertight seal.

A small shot of aluminium paint on the head of the bolt would make it all but disappear. I forgot so I will go back and touch it up with a brush later.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Even the simplest bits of tech are valuable when you take great sequential photos. Sure beats the rubber cap and hose clamp, nice the 1/2" tap was a perfect fit.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Nice simple way to block off the water pump. :tup:

I've considered removing my heater core but find that it is still quite useful in defrosting the windshield when it rains. It also helps me keep warm in the staging lanes late at night in the early spring and late fall.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Nice job. I usually just cut the whole nipple off, and pound a core plug in the hole. My way renders the pump useless if you ever want to go back to a heater though.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
A word of advice on that bolt you used. Ditch it and replace it with a stainless steel one. I replaced a bunch of bolts on my motorcycle with allen heads from the hardware store and they all rusted within a month.

Nice job BTW. Very good idea. Looks much cleaner than a cap and hose clamp.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have also done this modification.

***Important***

If your also blocking off the nipple on the thermostat housing, make sure you are using a thermostat with the bypass holes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm surprised that a quality aftermarket water pump, like this Milodon, doesn't have removable nipples.

So, if you had wanted to hook up a heater and connect it with AN lines, you'd have to use a hose clamp! Sure makes me think Milodon just copies the stock unit, was this supposed to be a high volume pump?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Good idea, I have a FlowKooler high volume (351 windsor) with the same nipples. Amazing you would think they would be threaded it's not like they are cheap parts. Does your windsor run hot around 200? Mine has been like that since day one since it was rebuilt. I almost thinking my pump isn't working properly as everything else looks good.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good idea, I have a FlowKooler high volume (351 windsor) with the same nipples. Amazing you would think they would be threaded it's not like they are cheap parts. Does your windsor run hot around 200? Mine has been like that since day one since it was rebuilt. I almost thinking my pump isn't working properly as everything else looks good.
My engine runs pretty cool or at least it did before I started messing with electric fans and underdrive pulleys..With the stock pulleys and a clutch fan it ran about 178 degrees with a 180 Tstat.In cool weather it would struggle to get much over 165 or so..I wouldn't say my car runs hot now but the temp does tend to move around more now than it used to..I am still dialing in what temp my electric fan cuts on and off..

I'm surprised that a quality aftermarket water pump, like this Milodon, doesn't have removable nipples.

So, if you had wanted to hook up a heater and connect it with AN lines, you'd have to use a hose clamp! Sure makes me think Milodon just copies the stock unit, was this supposed to be a high volume pump?
This isn't really what I would call a high end pump at $62 bucks..It looks like a very good quality unit but it is not even a high volume pump(although they are available)..My stock water pump cooled the engine well so I didn't want to mess around with what was working for me..
Milodon 16331 - Milodon Mechanical Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
You didn't use teflon tape or sealant on the threads?
Probably some threadlocker would be ok but teflon tape is used for pipe threads (NPT) and this tap was a straight thread.
putts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts