Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heater hoses in my 63 have been disconnected from the heater core and spliced together. Wanting to replace, what is the correct way to reconnected. Which hose goes to the bottom? Also what I.D. Is correct and how much is enough every where sells it by the foot. Also some of the forums talk about valves and shut offs is any of this necessary when reconnecting? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
The routing is usually hot water from the front of the intake manifold through a 5/8" hose to the bottom of the heater, then 3/4" hose from the top of the heater back to the water pump. You can run 5/8" coming back if you have a valve or some kind of restriction in the hose going to the heater. Basically you don't want more water going into the heater than can come out.

Sometimes, when the heater core leaks, an owner will just skip the heater and bend the hose from the intake right around into the water pump.

The hose from the intake can have several stops. Sometimes it runs to or through the carburetor or spacer, sometimes it passes through a shut-off valve controlled from the dashboard, sometimes it has a T in it for backflushing the engine. Maybe someone with your year Gal and options (A/C?) can give you something more specific.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
Do you still have the carb spacer that the water goes through? I don't know the hose size but mine the carb spacer is bypassed. The hose from the top of the intake/water pump I have hooked to the top and the hose coming out of the side of the water pump itself is the bottom. Don't know hose size though. 3/4?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I really never knew there was a right/wrong way to plumb in the heater core. top/top bottom/bottom or reversed or side by side. I always just hooked them up. I will say tho what ever way is correct, if the hose barbs on both the engine and core have 2 different sides it would make sense to hook them accordingly. 3/4-3/4:5/8-5/8 or what ever the combination maybe... if both the nipples are the same on core or engine, I dont see it really mattering.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what I did was disconnect the spliced hoses that bypassed the heater core. The one coming directly off the water pump went to the top of the heater core. The hose coming from the front intake goes through the carb and exit at the back of the engine, this hose I connected to the bottom part of the core. I think this is how it originally was because the hoses were just cut pretty badly at the core so I just matched the ends up. So far no problems or leaks. Heater is working properly. I wouldn't of thought that the order would of made a difference either, but after asking the question I found in the shop manual where it says " connect the heater hose from the manifold outlet to the heater core lower tube". Sounds like everyone does it differently without any problems, I'm new to the Galaxie so that's why I asked. Thanks for the help!! This is a great resource site.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah dunno what difference it would make either, maybe some mathematical/planetary/physics explanation but hell its just a tiny radiator and as far as i know not any one way valves. Sometimes the manual makes things more complicated and harder than it should be, "going by the book".... It can create confusion, and make questions when non should be made. Anyways Welcome to the forum and glad its working as planned.

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
Mine are probably backwards as it is just the opposite lol Which probably happened on who knows which engine swap and then continued from there as they are now. 2nd swap dad pulled the engine and 2 or 3 yrs later i put it back in. But the heater works!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I asked a Ford engineer that question when I was at a Ford factory school and he said it was to keep the heater core from draining back into the engine/cooling system.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Meh, ok kinda makes sense 63f406. So now we do know.... :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The reason the coolant enters the bottom of the core is to have the coolant flow from bottom to top to get more heat out of the coolant while in the core before it is returned to the pump.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hey All,
And IF one should perchance WANT to replace this hose, so that it is Correct&Proper, Part Number C3AZ-18472A, is needed. This is 5/8" Ribbed Hose, w/ 1/4" White Stripe, available from Greg Donahue in 8'-0" lengths for a paltry $28.00.

JC

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have a great picture or link to heater hose routing and support for a '64? Murdock aka Eric?

Someone did some weird stuff to mine, and scabbed in a plastic disconnect. I'm going to test the heater core this afternoon.

There is no picture in my service manual, and I have been looking at the Greg Donuhue catalog and checking the web, but without much luck.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Any one have an idea for a '65 with a 351 winster?
Hello Low1965,

Simple, if you have factory heat only just run the standard heater hoses off the Windsor into the heater core sticking out in the engine bay. If you have factory air, you need to route them through the heater control valve then into the heater core (inside fender area). It'll be the same routing if the car originally came with the Challenger 289 Windsor.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts