Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hello Low1965,

I have a couple observations about the way you plumbed in the heater core. First you are taking warm coolant from the back of the engine instead of hot coolant from the front top of the intake. The majority of the heat is in the heads and you're not going to be able to get hot air from your heater this way.

Secondly and most important, air and steam are naturally supposed to be pushed back from the front of the of the block/cylinder area then rise up into the head and then be pushed out the front top of the intake and into the radiator (when the thermostat opens). Also the reason the engine and transmission are canted about 3 degrees nose up in the chassis.

By using the rear water jackets to feed the heater core all you have done is trap any existing air and any steam into that loop of water pump inlet - lower block - heater core- back into the water pump inlet. The air/steam can never be purged into the radiator and you've aerated the coolant and lowered its ability to transfer heat. This probably raises your coolant temperature dramatically and why it's leaking out the radiator cap as your coolant pressure has increased.

You'll want to do two things, first you'll want to use the tap at the front intake for the heater core feed and secondly you'll want to use the fitting that has the long sleeve around the inlet of the fitting that protrudes into the intake. That shroud allows the air/steam to reside into the front of the intake till the thermostat opens without letting the air/steam back into the heater core.

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, DesertXL is correct.

This is the fitting that goes in the front top of the intake that he is talking about.

Note the "long pipe" that extends down into the intake coolant passage, it's important to have that..

Don't use a "universal fitting" that does not have that extension.

s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
The heater hoses in my 63 have been disconnected from the heater core and spliced together. Wanting to replace, what is the correct way to reconnected. Which hose goes to the bottom? Also what I.D. Is correct and how much is enough every where sells it by the foot. Also some of the forums talk about valves and shut offs is any of this necessary when reconnecting? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, guys, I know a firm which changes your address on your behalf without visiting the post office have to look at this website @ world wide web changeofaddressonline dot com

21 - 24 of 24 Posts