Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this front small door on heater plenum on a 63 galaxie used for? It has no cables running to it. Was it just a manual door to get more heat out? Just curious. I guess Ford wanted something you could adjust while driving down the road, bend down and take your eyes off the road to move it.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I would think '64 is the same but i don't remember any small door on the front of mine that doesn't have a cable hooked to it. Unless yours has a manual opening door for the fresh air vent on the passenger side top and you have to manually open it but that makes no sense. Maybe i'm not thinking of the right place, can you post a pic?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Pretty sure my 64 has the door/no cables, but the car's under cover in the garage, and I'm too lazy right now to go look.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It was to direct more heat to the driver's or passenger's feet. Remember back then the passenger didn't count for much LOL or "the driver was all by his self".

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Mine probably has it and i forgot. I need to have a look and be sure it's aimed at the driver for the next time i'm on a 4 hr drive in 30 degree weather! lol I sure could of used it!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
A/C cars had them screwed in place so you couldn't change it so that if for some reason you had the a/c and heater on at the same time (?) you could not affect the a/c out put with with the heater door pointed the wrong way. That's what the instructions said, anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts