Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting an EFI to carburetor. I have an HEI style distributor which cam off of an early 302. The engagement onto the oil pump shaft is about 1/2 inch less that the stock EFI distributor. The oil pump shaft looks like it has snap-on type locking ring which would be positioned just below where the stock distributor shaft is seated. Is that designed to prevent the shaft from "walking" upward? If so, the HEI distributor would not stop the shaft from moving upward. Do I need a different oil pump shaft?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
The shaft you have is fine. The shaft retaining clip (sometimes called a Grifaxe clip) is to prevent the shaft from pulling up out of the oil pump when the distributor is removed. It should be positioned below the block journal boss (where the bottom of the distributor shaft rides) and above the oil pump. Is that where it is?

David

PS: If you measure from the block surface (where the dist clamp is) to the top of the pump shaft, and compare against the dist from the mount surface to the end of the shaft, the HEI should have about 1/2" shaft engagement. The '68-'86 used 1/2" and the '87-'01 had 1". Same pump drive shaft. Issues you hear about 'shaft length' are for the thick aftermarket shafts that are tapered on the ends.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks David. Yes, that's where it is. I test fitted the HEI distributor and it is good. I now need to be sure I have a steel gear. I measured the shaft diameter below the gear. It was .450 inch on both my HEI and stock TFI. The gears I see on Summit are for .468 inch shafts. I'm a bit confused. Is the diameter below the gear .450 inch and the diameter where the shaft goes is 468 inch? I'm going to remove the stock gear from the TFI distributor and check the diameter. I want to make that distributor my oil pump priming tool anyway.
Thanks

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
thanks David. Yes, that's where it is. I test fitted the HEI distributor and it is good. I now need to be sure I have a steel gear. I measured the shaft diameter below the gear. It was .450 inch on both my HEI and stock TFI. The gears I see on Summit are for .468 inch shafts. I'm a bit confused. Is the diameter below the gear .450 inch and the diameter where the shaft goes is 468 inch? I'm going to remove the stock gear from the TFI distributor and check the diameter. I want to make that distributor my oil pump priming tool anyway.
Thanks
measured below the gear , now measure above the gear . there's your answer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts