Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dont you guys only play with Camaro's?? LOL....just kidding!!
Have you checked out some of the fine rides that show up at the Knotts Berry Farm all Ford show??

I actually turned down an offer from PHR to have my car featured back in 1998 or 99 (cant remember which) because I was doing a lot of local street racing back then, and I was making good money doing it, and I did'nt want my combo to become known to the public.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Okay, I'll see if I can get a decent motor shot. You guys in California sure are lucky you can play all year round while we guys in the East are stuck shoveling snow while we dream of opening day in the Spring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I sent some pics and a vid.....................probably too much of a beater by their standards........:>(

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Is hotrod magazine going down the crapper."

No, Hot Rod certainly isn't going away but from what that article says, circulation of many of Primedia's titles are slipping.

It's really pretty simple, while a lot of die-hards still subscribe to print magazines, a lot of us are spending more time online. So instead of subcribing to 3 magazines, we might just subscribe to 1. (I'm down to just Hot Rod)

I think it's funny that Primedia titles will use the internet to gather premium content, then turn around and deliver it in print....why not deliver it on the web? It just doesn't make sense.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SignalFlare on 12/13/06 10:39pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Listen Guy's... This post by this Johnny tard is only revenue advertisement.... They need car's to put in their magazine... I Very Highly doubt he'll be back on our forum to chit chat.... He's got a job, and the post was to help him in that endeavor.

FE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, something about getting your car in a print magazine has lost its "Flare". I just put my car on cardomain and now everybody who I want to see it can see it.

traditional media is fracturing because of the internet.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Hard to overlook the fact that this is an example of a "Hard Print" Magazine coming to an "Internet" Magazine for assistance ...

Or so it seems to me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well I got an email from John at PHR yesterday and they want my car for a photo shoot and drag testing.
Now I'm a nervous wreck trying to decide what to do to the car to make it worthy of a mag photo shoot of this caliber.
So far I am changing the rear end and trans to handle the 408 better and retrofiting the brakes as well. I am considering a paint job but dont know if I can afford it all right now.
I'm going to be in the poor house after this one.
I need a huge sponser!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67falconer on 12/14/06 12:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
What's to get ready? Just run it man! I love seeing real-world cars in mags!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would but they want to run drag tests for times and Im afraid if I get the good hook up I will scatter parts vigorously all over the track.
I have never got it to hook up since installing the new 408. I think it is a good thing since my C4 and rear end are basically stock. My trans has allready come apart once.
If it weren't for the drags I would be there this weekend with bells on.

Anyway, I'm not too excited anymore since they haven't contacted me since yesterday. We were exchanging an email per hour yesterday and today, nothing.
It was just nice to be considered even if nothing else happens.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-12-13 07:31, SignalFlare wrote:
"Is hotrod magazine going down the crapper."

No, Hot Rod certainly isn't going away but from what that article says, circulation of many of Primedia's titles are slipping.

It's really pretty simple, while a lot of die-hards still subscribe to print magazines, a lot of us are spending more time online. So instead of subcribing to 3 magazines, we might just subscribe to 1. (I'm down to just Hot Rod)

I think it's funny that Primedia titles will use the internet to gather premium content, then turn around and deliver it in print....why not deliver it on the web? It just doesn't make sense. ...
I agree, many hard copy print media are having adjustment problems. Newspapers are especially being hit hard.

I am very concerned. Most web-based enterprises make their money off advertising (big surprise! ... what else is new). But what is really at issue is they basically transfer most of the "content" to users. Your pictures, your video, your sound files, your comments, your knowledge - which is "free" to them. They offer you a place to post your content; which is good. But eventually, you know its coming, they will compile the information that you provided, in a book or DVD/CD and sell it back to you. Nothing wrong with that so far - its the American way. Money for nothing ... xxxx for free! Long live Rock 'n Roll.

So, what happens when the site folds? Example, I loved old Super Fords magazine, great articles, how-to's...now they are gone and no one has stepped to do the things they did, with the same kind of in-depth content, articles and really good pictures. I still use my library of old car books and magazines today. When I compare the ability of being able to do an "AL Bundy" ... spend some time in the reading room ... or spend a lazy day in the basement ... just flipping through those old issues ... I have to wonder what online only content will do to our collective memory? Even today I can see so many newbie Hot Rodders that have no idea of what is going on, most don't want to learn anything - they prefer to be spoon fed everything. They tend to be PO'ed if you give them a reference that they have to actually look up and interpret whether or how it fits into their project.

I sound like the Grinch or some old fart complaining about the kids of today...that’s not what I am saying. The point I am making is the stuff you learn on the way to doing your car, is the stuff you will be telling your kid, when he starts getting an interest in his car - I'm afraid the “well” – as in well of information - will be dry by then!
I learned most of the stuff about cars, part numbers, theory, what looks good, what looks "not so good" by hanging around with guys that could teach me something. Now we have “Hot Rod University” and other technical schools that have popped up to teach guys how to build a car, what’s up with that? I thought it was a hobby.
Print magazines offer a link to the past, the body of knowledge collected from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's - I'm just afraid that losing print media will cause us to lose all that historical information.

Even worse, on-line sources can go from "free" to subscription only anytime they want. They don't have the burden of hiring real car guys, photographers, writers, editors or even put shows or sponsor stuff like "Engine Masters" - you wouldn't lose any money if you placed a bet that a lot of time, effort and contacts are involved in setting up contest, weekend rod runs, etc. Even with sponsors or entry fees, you need good people who have paid their dues to be able to pull some of those things off.

I know, TMI ...Too Much Iinformation ... again! Peace out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 12/14/06 8:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's midnight and I just touched down in Orlando for the PRI show. I apologize for not answering my emails or posting while I was indisposed. Got some big-time haters here. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me trying to win you guys over. Bottom line is, those vids of that blue Falcon going nuts on the street with burnouts really got my blood pumping. My immediate reaction is that our readers would love to see it run. I don't care about the paint because I can make it look like a million bucks with the million-dollar camera the company bought.

I'm not going to be able to contact you every day or multiple times a day since I've got to put a magazine together, but just have faith. IT will happen if you can get the car to CA. I'll be in touch--just not today, or tomorrow, or the next day. I'll be back next week. 'k?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Johnny,
I don't think Primedia investors would be happy to hear about that million dollar camera. You can get the quality you need for your magazine with a $800 Nikon at Best Buy.

Maybe you should read this too.
http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06121134.htm

from article....

"However, despite the recent moves, investors remain skeptical. Since hitting $2.40 per share in February, the stock price has been in a tailspin, and is currently at $1.53."

....million dollar camera?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SignalFlare on 12/14/06 10:35pm ]</font>

1 - 20 of 57 Posts