Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an owner of a 63 Falcon Futura. I've had the car for about seven years and it has been good to me, until last Friday when the clutch pedal slumped downward and shiftting became impossible. I just replaced the clutch about five months ago. There was no warning of this. No noises grinding etc... The push rod attached to the clutch pedal is adjusted all the way out and I'm not getting a return after I release it. I noticed a heavey duty spring under the dash that is attached to the pedal. Will adjusting this remedy th problem? I'm in the dark with this one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

ARTHUR

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
so the pedal iis not returning?? did you lube up the throw out bearing well it could be stuck on the input collar

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The spring under the dash is an assistant spring. It shouldn’t need adjusting if you haven’t adjusted on it. It sounds like the arms on the Z bar are tearing off the tube at the welds. Have someone push in the clutch slowly while you look at the action from under the car. When truble shooting this by yourself it will look fine. Been there done that before.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
IS the car still in gear when the pedal is pushed down? (the answer is likely yes...)
You either have a split clutch fork, a broken return spring coupled with a stuck throwout bearing or a broken weld on your pedal assembly. Regardless of the Return Spring pressure there should be SOME RETURN from the engagement of the clutch to the returning of the depressed pressure plate to it's relaxed position.

Did someone Put a Hydraulic clutch in your Falcon?

FE

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am of the opinion that perhaps your new clutch has pooped out already. May be throwout bearing too.

If the adjusting nut on a finger popped off, the pedal will go down, with a lot of adjustment, but that ain't normal.

Wm.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Check all your linkage and tell us what you find.... Pictures would be Greatly appreciated and my even solve the issue....

FE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-12-11 07:28, FALCONAROUND wrote:
IS the car still in gear when the pedal is pushed down? (the answer is likely yes...)
You either have a split clutch fork, a broken return spring coupled with a stuck throwout bearing or a broken weld on your pedal assembly. Regardless of the Return Spring pressure there should be SOME RETURN from the engagement of the clutch to the returning of the depressed pressure plate to it's relaxed position.

Did someone Put a Hydraulic clutch in your Falcon?

FE
No welds or return spring broken and the car is not stuck in gear. If I have the pedal detached from the clutch fork push rod mechanism should the pedal slump to the floor? The return spring attached to the fork has extensions. Is this common? I can pull the spring off with my bare hand. I would guess this spring would be under alot of tension to force the clutch pedal to return upwards.

Best.

ARTHUR

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes the pedal will stay on the floor if the push rod is not engaged to the fork. Another thing that can make this happen is using the wrong throw out bearing with the wrong clutch disk. Using a diaphragm TOB on a 3 finger disk the bearing will eventually fall through the fingers. A diaphragm TOB is mounted on a flat plate and a 3 finger TOB is round. Check out the pictures at http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=clutch&N=700+4294816111+115+4294908331&Ntk=KeywordSearch

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1bad6t on 12/12/06 6:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It’s more of a wire to clip it to the pivot inside the bellhousing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to drop the tranny. Why? Because the clip that holds the fork to the pivot was missing. The fork slipped right out when I gave a little tug. Fortunately a local shop that specialized in Mustang parts carried the miniscule hairclip like peice. Hopefully that is the problem. I popped open the tranny and everything seems fine. Anyone everr run into this problem?

Best.

ARTHUR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts