Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New member here.
Looking for the linkage that connects to the steering column. Not sure if this is how you call it.

If you guys can point me in the right direction on where to buy it or if someone here is selling it please let me know
THanks again.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Hello Castro, how are you Fiedel'ing today LOL :) :)

You need some rubber grommets for your shift linkage I think.

Try these... Manual Transmission Column Shift Lever Insulator - Rubber - 2.04" Long - Ford - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

Maybe These... Manual Thttp://macsautoparts.com/1960-72-ford-mercury-automatic-transmission-column-shift-lever-insulator-ford-b8s-7246-ar/camid/FMP/cp/JS0R3CHL1127992/ransmission Column Shift Lever Insulator - Rubber - 1" Long - Ford - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

They should make your shifter Normal again I think. Or at lease help you a little. You can also make your own rubber grommets and rebuild your linkage.

Just for your knowledge we Spell Galaxie as Galaxie.... There is no Y in Galaxie except in European Ford Vans made over the last several years.

Zapraszamy do Ford mięśni, gdzie poznasz wielu wspaniałych ludzi, co pozwala na uzyskanie największej ilości wiedzy z całego podziału robimy w naszej małej miejscowości.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They made there own linkage. There are welded rods and brackets. I have no idea how they are supposed to be but I know its not right because my column shifter slips past D strait to over drive. It barely stays on D.
So I am looking for the OEM linkage so I can bring it back to oem. and probably order the bushings and grommets while I'm at it too.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
You sure it just doesn't need adjusted out on the firewall? Mine hangs down to almost L and once it's adjusted correctly it will still sag down below D because it's worn out. Mine it's the detent or whatever the name is in the column that is worn badly so it really doesn't "click" into each gear as it moves but just slides almost so bumping it, it will fall out of P into reverse real easy.

Welcome to the forum also and what a nice looking car!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Good looking car if you lose those rims and tires....

You need to show us a Photograph of your Transmission oil pan and the linkage on your transmission before we can go further without wasting your money.
You buy a car with a C-4 and it turns out to be an FMX, or you buy a car with a Cruise O Matic and later find out it's an AOD.

Pictures are your friends in this forum.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will take pics later today. And probably shoot a small video so you guys can see what I'm working with. Yesterday I found out I have a cruisomatic according to the green dot on steering column.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Looks like a cobbled up mess on that z bar that is all welded up. See what you mean on home-made or however it should be put with that threaded rod. I would think that would cause issues if it rubs against anything, not to mention the way it goes through the hole on the zbar. The pan looks like a small case cruiso like i have in mine now. Just changing the one rod would help and not sure on that zbar but it could stand being changed also or i would.

Where are you located?

This is what the zbar should look like.
zbar2.jpg
zbar1.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the help guys. I was able to find the linkage and the rod that comes down from the throttle assembly for 100.00 plus shipping. So I can wait to get it in the mail and fix this issue. I might need your help on installing it when it comes in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts