Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1964 Galaxie 500 (not an XL model) 4 dr sedan with 352 and cruise-o-matic. There is no DSO code on tag. I am trying to find out if car is accurate. It has PW PL PS PB and what appears to also be factory AC. Was this a possible 1 off custom order car? How do I tell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you looked for the build sheet? Mine was behind the back seat attached to the setback springs. They are also sometimes under the front seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't yet. I just recently pulled it out of a nice infested field and am currently chasing electrical gremlins to see if she'll run again. Amazingly enough the interior is in great shape for having a mouse nest in engine bay and up in the A pillars by floorboards. So I need to pull back seat and start digging?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apologize if I may seem redundant or "dumb". This is my first old school Ford or "restoration". I kept looking online to see if these were Factory options for this car since it isn't an XL but have yet to find anything definitive as to whether this is truly a factory car or someone modified it at some point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't worry about your questions - ask away! Now I have a question for you - does your car not have a warranty plate, which should be located on the rear face of the driver's door where the locks are, or do you have a warranty plate but the DSO spot is blank? The warranty plate has a lot of information on it, but accessories such as you are asking about are generally not among them. The DSO can have two separate meanings: As the District Sales Office it is a two digit code for which geographic area sales office ordered the car (or codes for things like U S Govt, Home Office Reserve, Export, or others) or could be for general dealer inventory. A Domestic Special Order vehicle will have additional digits after the first two which would record what the special components were. Unfortunately, Ford chucked all the records for vehicles produced prior to the 1967 model year, so even if you have a special order vehicle and know the code numbers, you can't find out what they mean. Now some good news - the accessories you quote were all available for '64 Galaxie 500s, either from the factory or dealer installed. I would recommend you get the 1964 Ford Facts & Feature Manual, and the 1964 Ford Accessory Price List which should answer most of your questions and serve as a great reference. These are not too expensive and are sold by most of the Galaxie parts perveyors. One other observation - I live in southern Arizona where packrats abound. They love to nest in cars (not just in little used ones) and they love to chew on electrical wiring. Since you mentioned you have some rodents nesting in your car it would be a good idea, as you are evicting them, to give your wiring a hard look. They also have an irritating habit of coming back to the same vehicle and rebuilding if you don't kill them. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Extech - haven't noticed any orange '67 Goats on the street, but there's a big car show in town next month so maybe I'll see it then. Sorry 'bout the hijack annee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just went out and looked at my 64 Mercury so maybe this will help. There is a body buck tag in the engine compartment. It is used on the assembly line to make sure the car gets the proper parts installed. It is a plain metal tag with serrated edges. It is screwed somewhere under the hood. Mine was on the firewall inboard of the heater motor and below a heater hose. It will have codes like PB for power brakes and PS for power steering etc. I would expect yours to saw PW and AC if your car had those options installed by the factory. The tag is a little hard to spot since it is painted the same color as the engine compartment. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 to 635Rangoon427's post about sources and DSO comments.

If you do have the door tag, and assuming it's original, a decent starting point for decoding the readable content is the SoCal Galaxie Club Decoder Page

As well as a Factory Service Manual. Body assembly manuals are available too.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Everything has been covered so I'm just gonna say congrats on the 'new' ride! Might try adding some dryer sheets here and there on/in the car too. Heard that helps deter rodents. Not sure how well it works but is a cheap item to try!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everything has been covered so I'm just gonna say congrats on the 'new' ride! Might try adding some dryer sheets here and there on/in the car too. Heard that helps deter rodents. Not sure how well it works but is a cheap item to try!
The dryer sheets is a good method to help prevent unwanted critters from moving in. I also supplement that with some moth balls. Suggest three or four sheets and six to eight mothballs each in the trunk and the same in the main compartment. I have never had or seen any signs of uninvited guests in the engine compartment, so have never put anything there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts