Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of restoring my dads 73 Torino that was handed down from me. He purchased the car @ 18 and drove it up until around 15 years ago. It has been in storage since so it has no rust! I have been working on the rebuild slowly due to money but have recently started a better job and would like to put this project in gear! I have ran into a dead end after installing the motor, it would start and run fine as it should with the key all of a sudden it won't start with the key and I have to jump it off the solenoid and it will start and run for maybe 5 seconds and it will cut back off. I have replaced the solenoid and that is not the problem. Any help would be tremendous as I am excited to drive my dads pride and joy as a young man myself.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't seen any rust we've looked it over there may be some hiding but have yet to see it. We live in north Carolina where the car has been the whole time and has been stored in a building for the 15 years it still has factory paint although it does need some work to the paint there are no bare metal spots,however I am not an expert in restoring or anything like that just know some minor mechanics. Any help is much appreciated also While he had it he parked it under a carport

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok so I have done what I can I'm not sure how to test the condenser? I do have more info for you with the key turned I have no power on the other side of the solenoid or to the coil also I have no lights which should work without the key turned on.if I jump the solenoid I will start but as soon as I take the screw drivers off it won't continue running.I have also moved it to my house nownso I can work on it daily, although they lady isn't happy. I'm determined to get the thing going!!!!!! Thanks Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
it could be the ignition switch under the dash attached to the column. One good way to test is first if the car wont crank from key then that could be problem. second if it cranks but wont start try running a wire from the positive side of battery to the positive side of coil and if car starts I would change it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.