Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 Galaxie with and am radio .I have a 1964 AM-FM radio but it looks like I still have to modify the dash to install it . I have the right face plate also.
Any one had this problem?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Have you called Donahue? There was one year where the AM dash was different from the AM/FM dash. I never knew this until recently. I thought it was maybe 1963. A you 100% certain your AM/FM (and faceplate) is a 1964?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Are you sure that the AM/FM radio is from a '64 Galaxie? I have only seen one original AM/FM radio in a Galaxie and I don't remember the face plate looking like the one you have. I could be wrong though, as I am just going off of memory. I too always just assumed that the dashes were all the same and you could just bolt in a factory FM radio without altering anything. Do you have any pictures of the radios side by side?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yep, You got to trim the dash opening just a little bit. Looks like you have the right face plate. I have the directions for 63 and I would assume that 64 is the same as the radios are the same except for the color of the back ground on the dial. The amount you trim is so little that you could reinstall the am radio and not even know you trimed anything. I could snail mail you the directions.

·
Super Moderator
21,524 Posts
Do you actually have to cut the dash or is the faceplate just different? I forgot what mine looks like with radio and faceplate out but thinking there is plenty of space there maybe, just the plate is dif. Or did you slip the new radio in and check out clearance?

The ones on ebay look like that bottom one you have. But it almost looks like you could put your 'new' radio in and the face plate extends beyond where the other plate does but still would word without cutting. But again, i don't have an open hole for the radio to look at and study. :) Test fit it and see.

The '63s usually have a black face but other than that the radios were the same as the '64 at least for the AM.

1964 Ford Galaxie AM-FM Stereo Radio 180 Watts RMS | eBay

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The radio will not fit in the dash without cutting ,if you look at the pictures of the face plates the push buttons are lower than the aluminum plate on the dash . It needs cut to the bottum of the black painted line .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, You got to trim the dash opening just a little bit. Looks like you have the right face plate. I have the directions for 63 and I would assume that 64 is the same as the radios are the same except for the color of the back ground on the dial. The amount you trim is so little that you could reinstall the am radio and not even know you trimed anything. I could snail mail you the directions.
Thanks for the directions do I owe you anything.
The radio fits good and sounds good!
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts