Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been going crazy

trying to fit a few sets of shorty headers on my galaxy. I pretty sure that the motor is a swap from 289 to a 390 . All the headers i find have an issue with the #1&5 tubes hitting the shock towers .
A side note is that my trans mount had to have a 2 1/2 peice of metal welded to it so it can reach the crossmember. There looks to be at least 3" space from rear of intake manifold to the A/C box . The main problem that I can see is the oil pan won't allow everything to move back .the trans is stock .
Now I'm not sure that the headers will fit if motor was 2 1/2 " back . Is there a oil pan ( that i can't find ) that would allow the rearward move needed ? And still i might have to rotate the motor mount brackets
180 degrees?
I'm a retired auto mechanic w/advanced level master certified tech w/over 40 years exp.
But headers usually are a bit challenging.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ive been going crazy

trying to fit a few sets of shorty headers on my galaxy. I pretty sure that the motor is a swap from 289 to a 390 . All the headers i find have an issue with the #1&5 tubes hitting the shock towers .
A side note is that my trans mount had to have a 2 1/2 peice of metal welded to it so it can reach the crossmember. There looks to be at least 3" space from rear of intake manifold to the A/C box . The main problem that I can see is the oil pan won't allow everything to move back .the trans is stock .
Now I'm not sure that the headers will fit if motor was 2 1/2 " back . Is there a oil pan ( that i can't find ) that would allow the rearward move needed ? And still i might have to rotate the motor mount brackets
180 degrees?
I'm a retired auto mechanic w/advanced level master certified tech w/over 40 years exp.
But headers usually are a bit challenging.
Thanks in advance
Hello bikewrnch,

A couple of things here. First the only decent shorty header for the 3rd gen FE powered galaxie ('65-'68) is from FPA. They are pricey but worth it. I have bought two sets from them for our '66's. Even those well hand crafted headers will only fit if the engine is mounted correctly and on fresh new engine mounts.

Now if someone hacked in an FE in the place of the small Windsor, that needs to be sorted first. Check the VIN tag to make sure it was originally a Windsor car (actually it's called the Challenger 289).

The frame perches are different between FE and Windsor. Also for the FPA headers to fit you need to have the Ford steering gear and not the Saginaw type (assuming you have power steering of course).

When you say stock transmission (assuming an automatic for lack of information), that's a bit vague because the bell housing bolt pattern between a Windsor and FE is different. So if indeed the car was originally a Windsor and now and FE big block the cars original stock transmission cannot possibly reside in the car or at least the bell housing cannot. The question becomes is it a stock transmission to that year. Of which the possibilities are only FX and MX transmission for automatics for FE (the C6 didn't debut till '66). Both FX and MX are Borg Warner cast iron centre's boat anchors with an aluminum tail shaft housing and bell housing.

However as long as the FE engine is sitting on the correct FE frame perches with the correct engine mounts it's immaterial how they rigged the transmission into place as the FPA headers will fit regardless. Again only if you have a Ford power steering gear and not the rarer Saginaw.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

p.s. If you want to see how the FPA look and fit (mind you even they are close tolerance) feel free to have a look here https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/588370-im-surprised-no-one-bid-5.html#post2474953

Scroll down a several pictures and you can see the headers on the engine mounted to the chassis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts